Post Mommy Makeover Scar Treatment

I want my scars to heal as light ,flat,and thin as possible. I have bought every scar lotion, tape, oil,and creme known. Now what do I do with them? My dr said all were great but didn't specify the sequence and weeks to do what. When I had my breasts done the first time,all I did was use paper tape on the incision for a month.Right now I am 2 weeks post mommy makeover and using scar guard as the steristrips fall off. Help me out her with a " scar treatment plan"!

Kelcote is KING of Scar Correction.

+7

KELOCOTE IS KING OR QUEEN OF SCAR  CORRECTION.    100% silicone.  A gel that drys.  It works.   Read the directions.  I use this on all my patients for all incisions.  This stuff can be bought on the internet..  If problems, call my noffice and we will get it for you AT OUR COST.   Kelocote works.  Use it for one year daily and it will never fail.....NEVER!!!!    NEVER !!!!.    George Commons, MD

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatment after tummy tuck

+5

This is what I recommend. Other surgeons will have different opinions.

1. Keep the incision taped for 3 weeks. Steri-strips or other medical tapes are both fine.

2. Start scar massage at 3 weeks. Work that scar as often as you can.

3. Do not tan!!!

4. Use some for of silicone-based scar treatment for the first 3 months. It can be silicone sheeting, ScarGuard, or ProSil. They all work about the same.

5. Vitamin E and Mederma are not as effective as the silicone products.

6. If the scars are hypertrophic, consider Kenalog injections.

7. If the scars are very red in color, consider IPL treatments.

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurgeryinflorida.com/body/mommy-makeover.html

Scar treatment

+5

Using scar guard should help. You can also benefit from massaging your scars to flatten them. However you should wait until you are 4 weeks post surgery as the wound is still weak. 

Dana Khuthaila, MD

Post surgical scar treatment

+4

There are different types of scars.  Some are thickened and elevated, others are red and may be flat or elevated, some are wide while others are narrow, some are depressed or indented, etc.  If you can provide photos of the scars that can help determine what type of treatment is best.  Various options include covering of scars with silicone gel or sheets, steroid treatment with or without a drug called 5FU mixed in, and laser and light treatment.  Without more information it is tough to make specific recommendations.  What does your surgeon have to say?  I would always defer to the judgement of the person you tusted to perform your surgery over that of someone you don't know.

Brian Biesman

Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Scar treatment

+3

There are many types of treatment for scars.  I usually recommend pure vitamin E oil or cream to be placed on the scars.  After the vitamin E I would recommend a silicone sheeting.  This sheeting can be purchased in the local CVS or Walgreen's.  You use the sheeting for a few months and the scar will improve. 

Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Scar management after mommy make over

+3

Scars are a dynamic metabolic evolution of inflammation and collagen creation and breakdown for at least six months after a surgical procedure.  We recommend maximizing scar management with a topical silicone gel sheeting sold by several manufacturers.  Diligent wearing of this sheeting for a prolonged ( 6 months) period of time will pay big dividends.

Tal Raine MD  Elmhurst , IL

Scar Treatment post Mommy Makeover

+3

Multiple factors contribute to scar formation.     I think scarguard is a great product, but must be used in moderation.  A light layer is all that is necessary to treat the incision.    If you start to develop a raised area of scar, you may benefit from an injection or silicone sheets to help the area flatten.   Lastly, remember that wound healing takes time.   Most scars take 1 year to fully mature and soften. 

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Scar treatment

+3

I prefer to have my patients use ster-strips or paper tape over their incisions for about 6 weeks provided that they have not sustained any tape irritation. The other topicals are OK,b ut in most cases do not do anything more than moisturize the skin. If the scar is problematic topical silicone sheeting can help;.

Scar therapy

+3

Every PS uses a different regimen but no doubt mommie makeover is an operation that could use some method of diminishing scars.  A combination of steroid/silicone/massage and sun avoidance is what will benefit you most. You'll need a real consultation to evaluate your scars and treat you accordingly.

Web reference: http://www.doctormeade.com

Scar Treatment

+2

Each doctor has their own recommendations in regards to scar treatments.  Silicone based products have been proven to help with reducing the appearance of scars.  Silicone sheeting is an option and also a scar cream that has both silicone and a steroid (Hybrisil).
Do your homework and talk to your surgeon as to the best option for you.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/products/scar-cream/hybrisil-scar-cream/