Post-Gynecomastia Areola Wound

Hello, I recently had gynecomastia surgery (3 weeks ago). The sutures on my left areola broke prematurely. This led to an infection (1 week ago), which I now have under control. Unfortunately, the infection ate away some of my areola. Right now there's a scab over the damaged space. My question is: how will this heal? Will my areola 're-generate' itself or will it heal as breast skin? The space also craters in a bit (i.e., doesn't follow the dome shape of my areola when viewed from a bottom angle). I am also wondering about possible revision options. Thank you.

Post-Gynecomastia Areola Wound

+1
This wound will heal fine in my opinion.  I may suggest using an antibiotic ointment.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia healing

+1

Areolas in both men and women are incredibly forgiving. Dont' worry; it should heal well.

Joshua Korman, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Healing problems following gynecomastia surgery

+1

it is not uncommon to have some minor healing problems following any surgical procedure. Fortunately, these are usually self limiting and get better with some routine wound care. In most of the cases, a revision is not even needed.

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

Gynecomastia Surgery and Wound Healing Problems

+1

Dear ConcernedMale,

I think everything will be okay.  Secondary or delayed healing is a potential problem that can occur with any surgery and, in fact, it's pretty common.  It means that some areas of the incisions or wounds do not heal directly but, instead, develop a scab or open up (a bit), may have some drainage and then (typically) close on their own over a several week period.  The ultimate cosmetic result is usually pretty good and, once healed, you may not even be able to tell where it was that that process occurred.

Secondary wound healing is a particular concern if there is a risk of implant exposure (ie, if there is an implant, such as a breast implant, which may become exposed during the wound healing).  That's not the case here, or in most cases in which this occurs, such as tummy tucks, breast lifts or reductions, etc.

Once it is healed, which will probably take several weeks to months, you can talk to your surgeon about the potential for a revision (you can talk anytime but it will take that long to discern the final appearance).  If necessary, it is typically a small procedure that can be done under local anesthesia, typically in an office setting (even if the original procedure was done in a hospital or ambulatory surgery center).

Stay in touch with your PS, try to not be too concerned about this, let it heal on its own and then,, if indicated, you can consider a scar revision.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

This will be fine.

+1

This small scab is a minor issue.  once healed it may be a small white spot.  If it really bothers you it can be easily revised very easily and successfully

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Post-gynecomastectomy Wound?Scar Should be Correctible

+1

There is always a chance of infection or delayed wound healing after any operation.  I think that you and your surgeon's first concern shuld be attaining a healed wound.  Following that and scar maturation, it appears that it should be fairly simple to revise the scar and obtain a result that will be pleasing to you.

John Whitt, MD

Wound problem after gynecomastia surgery

+1

I agree with the other posts.  Wound care is all you should do now.  With time, the wound will likely improve significantly, and you will likely just be left with a somewhat wide and thick scar.  At that point, a scar revision will help. 

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

+1

Let the wound heal. The "scab" will fall by itself. The scar will undergo remodeling nad contracture. The final result in 9 months to one year will look very good. If the remaining scar has some aspects you do not like it can be corrected with a scar revision under local anesthesia.

What to do with a small loss of a portion of the areola from gynecomastia surgery

+1

Now that the infection is resolved, just let the scab come off naturally and then let the inflammation subside. I would give this at least 6 months. You may be surprised how well it make look. Irregularities can be addressed with a scar revision usually perforemd under just some local anesthesia.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD