What is the Proper Maintenance After Fraxel Treatment is Complete (5 Treatments)?
- Asked by Toni Rodosta
- 5 years ago
Maintenance after Fraxel series
Remember that your skin is still healing internally for about 4 to 6 weeks after your series of treatments are complete. Your skin is also more susceptible to Hyperpigmentation so my recommendations on taking care of your skin after Fraxel include
- Treating your skin gently and avoiding abrasive cleansers or rubbing with towels or washcloths
- Using a simple gentle cleanser like Cetaphil is generally easily tolerated by anyone
- Using Sunscreen of at least 30SPF or a sunblock every day indoors or out - even on cloudy days
- Wearing a hat if you will be in the sun (Actually I recommend avoiding the beach and long days poolside altogether. If you must go the beach, take a beach umbrella, wear a hat AND use sunscreen
- Do not use new cosmetics or creams early on other than what your doctor approves of. An irritant or perfume could trigger a reaction from your fresh new skin
- Avoid high heat situations - it's not just sun that can trigger hyperpigmentation, it's also heat without the sun - steam rooms, saunas, cooking, etc.
- Avoid products with glycolic or other acids unless recommended by your dermatologist
- Skip any hair laser or other laser treatments on your Fraxeled skin until your doctor tells you it's okay
- Don't pick or pop acne pimples. See your dermatologist if they occur so you won't inadvertently create scars
You've paid a considerable amount of money to improve your skin and taking precautions will protect that investment as well as protect your skin!
Staying out of the sun, using sun block, and gentle cleansers during recovery
After a Fraxel Treatment, it is important to follow proper post treatment guidelines. This includes staying out of the sun and wearing high SPF sun block. Because the skin is extra sensitive after treatment, be sure to use gentle cleansers and avoid harsh scrubs. If you are using a medicated cleanser, be sure to ask your doctor before using again. In general, you can expect about 4 - 6 weeks for skin to recover after final treatment.
Maintenance after Fraxel
After Fraxel treatments, you want to do your best to maintain your results and prevent future sun damage. Even though everything may look back to normal, there is still healing and remodeling going on in your skin, and you don't want to do anything to irritate or inflame your skin.
Your skin will be more sensitive to sunlight for 6-8 weeks after Fraxel (and you just spent a lot of time and money treating your sun damage), so wear sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher every single day. Wear a hat when you go outdoors, and don't seek the sun.
Wash your face with gentle cleansers, and avoid harsh scrubs. If you were using medicated cleansers or products with retinol/retinoic acid or glycolic acid, ask your physician if, when, and how you should restart these.
Don't get any other laser treatments unless you discuss it with your doctor first. Your skin is extra sensitive for up to 8 weeks after Fraxel, so treat it gently.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.