Post Cataract Surgery, my Eyes Seem to Be Different Sizes. Is This Possible?

I had cataract surgery with lens implanted in both eyes. My right eye was focused for distance and the left for close-up. Should one eye now be smaller than the other?

The operations were about two weeks apart. My eyes now seem asymmetrical. I noticed it and others agreed. One of my friends even noticed it without being prompted. Is this common?

Asymmatry of the Eyes After Cataract Surgery

+1

One eye should not be smaller than the other, one of your eyelids may be drooping. 

Please see your ophthalmologist immediately, as this can have a number of causes and some of them are significant.  If the drooping lid is just post-surgical, it will usually resolve within six months without further treatment. However, it is important to have your ophthalmologist determine the cause and to ensure there is nothing serious going on as a result of your cataract surgery.

San Diego Ophthalmologist

The size of your eye does not change but lid position may.

+1

The eyelid may droop more after cataract surgery. This is not common however. Patients sometimes become more observant of their eyelid position once their vision is clearer and glasses are no longer needed.

Vancouver Ophthalmologist

The eyeball size does not change with cataract surgery

+1

The eyeball size does not change with cataract surgery.  On rare occasions, the lid can droop (ptosis) after ocular surgery giving the appearance that the eye is smaller.  Your “blended” or “mini-monovision” is an excellent way to become less dependent on spectacles, though it may take a few months for the brain to adapt.  A few individuals are unable to adapt and glasses or contact lenses may be needed post-op.

New York Ophthalmologist

Different Sized Eyes Following Cataract Surgery

+1

The appearance of your eyes may be different after cataract surgery.  Sometimes, there is more swelling in one eye than the other and your two eyes are at different stages based upon the separation in time.  Other things that cause droopiness of your eyelids is stretching of the eyelid muscle due to the eyelid holder used at the time of surgery, a reaction of the eyelid due to irritation of the front surface of the eye and the incisions that were made, reaction to the eyedrops, and swelling.  Try to be patient as most of the time resolution occurs.  If it still persists after about six months, surgical intervention may help. 

San Diego Ophthalmologist

Eyelid Lag Post Cataract Surgery

+1

It is not uncommon to see a mild upper eyelid lag for about one to two weeks after cataract surgery. This is in no way permanent. The cause is typically a combination of a swelling reaction by the upper eyelid muscles to the surgery itself and a mild reaction to one of the postop eye drops. The steroid eye drop, which is used for approximately two weeks postoperatively, can cause that upper eyelid muscle to relax a bit while you are using it. Once the steroid is stopped, and a few weeks pass, the eyelids return to normal position. Since cataract surgery is performed on one eye at a time, typically one or two weeks apart, what you are noticing is not an uncommon question. If the difference between the eyes continues then you should discuss this with your cataract surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.kameen.com

Baltimore Ophthalmologist