Post Breast Reduction Scar Development? (photo)

I’m 23 YO and 5 months post op. One to two months ago I experienced areola scar development which I was unsure if was hypertrophic or keloid and has now extended to the vertical incision. I have experienced some pain in the area too. There was some stretching of the vertical incision post surgery but the scars were previously flat. I am wearing silicone patches daily, however the new appearance of the vertical incisions is very unpleasant and I am unsure if a revision surgery or other alternatives.

Concerned about Scars after Breast Reduction?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; hopefully, you'll be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure.

Based on your photographs, and the description of your current incision line care, I think that you are doing very well. You will find that the appearance of the scars  one-year postoperatively should be better than they are  today. They will be even better one year later.

At this point, I would suggest that you continue  to do what you're doing, continue to exercise patience, and continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Still early in the recovery period

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  It sounds like you are doing what you need to be doing to have well healed surgery incisions including the use of silicone sheet.  It is still early in the healing process so additional changes will be seen as time goes on.  Keep doing what your're doing an give it more time.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD