Breastfeeding Despite Sensation Loss?

If you lose a moderate sensation after breast augmentation, will that lessen your chances of breastfeeding?

Breast feeding and loss of nipple sensationq

+1

If you have decreased sensation of you areola it should not impact the actual breast feeding, but you may not feel injuries that could develop from teething, etc..

It may make a small difference

+1

Your nipple resonds to stimulation by becoming firmer which allows your baby to latch on more readily. I some patients I have seen who had decreased sensation, their nipples were still able to respond to cold or other stimuli. If you lost that ability with a loss of sensation, it would make it harder for the baby.

Dr Edwards

Web reference: http://www.medwardsmd.com

You should be able to breast feed with or without sensation,

+1

Since there is a closed loop of sensation in the nipple areolar complex, in other words your nipple areolar complex can be come erect even if you can't feel them, and the ducts from the breast to your nipples should still me intact, you should be able to breast feed regardless of sensation loss. 

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.