Post-breast Augmentation, One Breast Remains Swollen. How Can This Be Remediated?

It has been 7 months since I had 350cc sub-muscular silicone breast implants. The left has healed beautifully, but the right (I am left-handed) remains swollen: the sub-mammary crease is lower than the healed breast, the breast is rounder and larger, and the nipple is perkier. My doctor recommended that I stop massaging the healed breast but continue massaging the one that is still swollen. I've been doing this for a month with no resulting change. What is the next step?

Breasts remain uneven months after surgery: what to do now

+1

The change you see is likely to be permanent and the question now is: are you willing to live with it or do you want to take on the risks that are necessary to correct it and make it less uneven (perfect symmetry is NOT a realistic goal)

Breast asymmetry

+1

Breasts are normally a bit asymmetric and you should not assume that they will perfectly the same after surgery. They will not.  The folds are normally a bit different as are the general shape of the breasts.

Breast implants

+1

Looking at your photos, it does look like you have a difference for volume. Early on, this could be due to an unresolved hematoma or seroma, but at 7 months post op this is extremely unlikely. My guess is that you had different size breasts to start with and if you used the same size implants the difference would stay the same. You could undergo a revision with two different size implants.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1
The cause may be that your breast was larger on the right, pre-operatively, and if the same size implants were used, then the right one will be larger. Also, the breasts are not naturally round, but implants are, so the breasts inherent differences become magnified with augmentation. Massaging won't make a difference. The remedy is to examine it and possibly change it.

Shahin Javaheri, MD