Post BA Can/should I Change Water Damaged Bandage?

Hi, I have a crease incision and I'm 6 days post-op and was given the ok to shower today--when I got out of the shower the right bandage was soaked underneath and I'm really nervous that this may cause an infection around the incision. What should I do? I live about 7 hours away from my Dr and I don't go for my follow-up until Sept. 06. I know not to touch the stitches but can I remove and replace the gauze and tape? If you have any advice I would appreciate it!! TX, Kelsey

Talk to your surgeon

Please ask your surgeon.

I generally recommend that when taking a shower, patients remove the gauze + vaseline mesh that is taped over your incision. The small white tapes (called steri-strips) that are under the gauze directly over your incision should be left on.  

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Wet bandages

Consult your surgeon to determine whether you can change the dressing. I would personally recommend that you do so but you should rely on his instructions. I think there is a cautionary tale in returning home before sutures are removed and selecting a surgeon at a great distance from your home.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Post-surgery instructions after augmentation

It is best to ask your surgeon how he wants you to take care of the incisions.  Call his office and they will tell you.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Dressing after breast augmentation

I would recommend you to call your surgeon and ask for his/her advice.  Each plastic surgeon is different in his/her postoperative instruction and care.  Personally, I use Dermaband (glue) over the incision.  If the tape is wet, I would remove it and pat it dry; however, your plastic surgeon may differ in his/her approach. 

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

4185 Technology Forest Blvd.
The Woodlands, TX 77831

Replace Wet Dressings after Breast Augmentation?

It's always best to check with your operating plastic surgeon about concerns like this, given that your plastic surgeon is ultimately responsible for your care. A phone call or e-mail should answer your questions quickly.

If this is not possible, you will probably be better off removing the wet dressings gently and replacing them with fresh/sterile gauze.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942