Post BA Can/should I Change Water Damaged Bandage?

Hi, I have a crease incision and I'm 6 days post-op and was given the ok to shower today--when I got out of the shower the right bandage was soaked underneath and I'm really nervous that this may cause an infection around the incision. What should I do? I live about 7 hours away from my Dr and I don't go for my follow-up until Sept. 06. I know not to touch the stitches but can I remove and replace the gauze and tape? If you have any advice I would appreciate it!! TX, Kelsey

Talk to your surgeon

+1
Please ask your surgeon.

I generally recommend that when taking a shower, patients remove the gauze + vaseline mesh that is taped over your incision. The small white tapes (called steri-strips) that are under the gauze directly over your incision should be left on.  

Wet bandages

+1
Consult your surgeon to determine whether you can change the dressing. I would personally recommend that you do so but you should rely on his instructions. I think there is a cautionary tale in returning home before sutures are removed and selecting a surgeon at a great distance from your home.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Post-surgery instructions after augmentation

+1

It is best to ask your surgeon how he wants you to take care of the incisions.  Call his office and they will tell you.

Dressing after breast augmentation

+1

I would recommend you to call your surgeon and ask for his/her advice.  Each plastic surgeon is different in his/her postoperative instruction and care.  Personally, I use Dermaband (glue) over the incision.  If the tape is wet, I would remove it and pat it dry; however, your plastic surgeon may differ in his/her approach. 

Sugene Kim, MD

Replace Wet Dressings after Breast Augmentation?

+1

It's always best to check with your operating plastic surgeon about concerns like this, given that your plastic surgeon is ultimately responsible for your care. A phone call or e-mail should answer your questions quickly.

If this is not possible, you will probably be better off removing the wet dressings gently and replacing them with fresh/sterile gauze.