Breast Implants Leak Due to Sleeping Position

I am a stomach sleeper. My breast seem to be getting smaller over time by their look and bra size. Also over time, the rippling is becoming more noticeable. Could sleeping on my stomach cause a slow leak that only happens every night? Can a visit to a doctor determine this or would a surgery be needed? I had them done in 2000 and they are saline filled. Thank you for the info.

Implants and stomach sleepers.

+2

Thanks for your question.

Typically saline implants manifest leaks quickly. This means that if there's a leak it should happen quickly. Slow leaks are very unusual for saline implants.

In addition sleeping on your stomach should not cause implant ruptures in any type of implant.

Anytime you're concerned about the shape change in your breasts you should see your surgeon.

I hope this helps!

Return to your plastic surgeon for re-evaluation

+2

Thanks for your question. I definitely would recommend that your return to your plastic surgeon for reevaluation. It is unlikely that sleeping on your stomach has caused the changes that you have observed. With rippling, there is a probable chance that you are experiencing issues with scar capsular contraction. If you are unable to see or locate your original treating plastic surgeon, please see a board certified/eligible plastic surgeon experience in breast surgery.

I hope you find this helpful!

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Implants and sleeping on stomach

+1

I do not think that sleeping on yoru stomach will make your implants leak. If they are leaking they will deflate and you will notice it. 

Sleeping position does not affect leaking

+1

Hello proud army wife,

The position you sleep in does not affect the integrity of the implant. A change in apparent volume may be due to any number of factors like thinning of your own breast tissue over time, more drooping, an additional pregnancy or change in weight. Having said that, I have seen the very rare saline implants (especially the textured type) leak through the valve with certain arm movements, as tissue has gotten trapped between the pig-tail and the valve itself.

Best to always check with your doctor, or if you are no longer living near your doctor, find another board-certified plastic surgeon to check with. Best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Unlikely for sleeping position to deflate implants

+1

Saline breast implants can fail or deflate at any time following implantatoin. However, when it happens, it usually becomes apparent following a few days. You can have a partial deflation for a short while; however, it eventually fully deflates if you wait long enough.

Breasts change over time, especially following augmentation. Changes occur with age, weight changes, pregnancy, etc. It is not uncommon to feel that one's breasts are getting smaller or 'looser' as the skin further expands and if you lose weight. This can lead to the feeling of 'rippling'. You should seek an appointment with your board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate your breasts. You may benefit from a silicone gel implant.

Sanjay Grover, MD

If it were a saline leak, it would happen much faster

+1

It sounds like it is not a leak. However, without examining you it is hard to tell. If you implants are saline filled and had a lead, the size would decrease much faster that what you are describing. It is best to go back to your surgeon for a consultation.

David Shafer, MD

A breast implant leak is possible

+1

Dear Proud Army Wife,

The scenario you describe is possible, but it is extremely rare for both implants to leak at the same time and at the same rate. Slow saline leaks do occur though and may take weeks or months to deflate the implants. If you have leaking implants the cause of the leak is not sleeping on your stomach, per se, but your nine years of arm and body movements that over time wear down the implant shell. Decreasing breast size and increasing rippling are signs of leaking implants. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Very unlikely for sleeping position to cause implant leak

+1

It is not out of the question that sleeping on your stomach is causing a "micro" leak of your implants through the valve. However, all of your described changes can be explained by the passing of time, and perhaps some weight change on your part. The implants will settle in the pocket with time, and ultimately may not be where they were a few years ago.

Wrinkling is common with saline implants, especially when you lose some weight and this is reflected with a loss of breast volume. I would discuss these issues with your surgeon and review some older pictures taken after the surgery. A change in volume, shape of implant, or switch to silicone may all be of some benefit. All the best.

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Ask you doctor

+1

It is very unlikely that saline implant to have partial leak. Please check with your doctor and have him to examine you. You may have some breast changes due to weight loss and also hormonal changes.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Probably check with your doctor

+1

It would be highly unlikely for both implants to be symmetrically leaking simultaneously regardless of your sleeping position. It is possible though that downward compression on the implants is stretching the lateral tissues and thinning them out making the wrinkling and rippling of the saline implants more noticeable. Your tissues may also be thinning as you age and or lose body fat, making the breasts seem smaller and the implants fluidity more apparent.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS