Not Possible to Replace Breast Implants After Rupture?

I have 19 yr. old Mentor Replicon Silicone implants that are now ruptured & all the doctors tell me explantation is my only choice but they all 3 have different opinions on if I can get new ones put back in or not. One surgeon says no way & wants to take the old ones out through my nipple & leave me with no new breasts. Another says he can take them out under the breast & put new ones in with no lift. what is the truth, what will I look & feel like?

Silicone gel implant replacement after rutpture

+2

I replace ruptured silicone gel implants several times a month and have always been able to put new implants in immediately. There can be significant scarring with capsule formation, calcification and soft tissue granuloma but this does not affect the placement and healing of new implants.

Drains may be required for a few days and there may be more swelling with a little bit longer healing time but patients seem to tolerate it fine. I would remove ruptured gel implants through an incision beneath the breast so no gel in removed through the breast tissue.

Shreveport Plastic Surgeon

Replacing implants

+1

Ruptured implants may be removed and excess silicone cleaned out without any trouble. There should be no reason why new ones can't be placed back in.

Arian Mowlavi, MD
Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Implant replacement

+1

If your implants are ruptured, you obviously need them removed as for replacing them with or without a lift has to be decided based upon your exam and discussion in person.

Breast implants and rupture

+1

These are normally not very easy procedures.  I have removed many ruptured devices.  You have to be care about placment of new devices and lifts.  Lifts at the same as any kind of capsule work can lead to problems withthe healing and viability of the nipple areolar complex.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Ruptured silicone implants

+1

There should be abolutely no reason why, after removing the free silicone as well as possibly doing an open capsulotomy, that you could not have silicone implants replaced. Whether you would need some sort of an uplift would depend on how your breasts look and if you have ptosis. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Revision Surgery

+1

Difficult to answer your question without an exam and some more information.  Sometimes it is prudent to remove the implants and come back later with replacement and/or lift.

Other times it is safe to remove the implants and go behind the muscle if the implants are in front and replace with new implants.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Implants can usually be replaced after rupture

+1

Although the exact implants you received 19 years ago are not available, in my opinion the new silicone implants are an improvement on the old models. I am not sure why one of the surgeons refused to replace your implants. Even if there is silicone within the tissues outside the capsule, it is usually possible to replace the implants after removing the capsule, the old implants, and as much free silicone as possible.

Without seeing a photo, I cannot give an opinion on whether or not the breast lift is needed. Good luck.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Replacing Ruptured Breast Implants

+1

In most cases breast implants can be replaced. Depending on the type of implants and location of the implant, the capsule may need to be removed along with the implant. A breast lift maybe needed to restore the natural position of the nipple and shape of the breasts. However, depending on the amount of breast tissue you have, your physician may recommend performing a breast lift during a second operation.

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Remove and Replace

+1

I would certainly have your old silicone implants removed and I would recommend replacement with silicone gels. The approach will differ from surgeon to surgeon. It really depends on the desired size and shape you want to try to achieve. Good luck. Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Replacing Ruptured Breast Implants

+1

Eventually, all man-made devices (such as cars,planes,roof shingles etc) fail due to cracks. With breast implants, their contents leak from the implant into the surrounding scar capsule. Saline becomes rapidly absorbed while silicone stays there and is associated with a mild deflation and vague if any symptoms at all.

Deflated implants will not harm you but to improve the appearance of the breasts, they are removed along with their capsule and are replaced with other implants best chosen based on sizers used during the surgery.

Without a photograph it is hard to advise which exact course is the best one for you. Uncommonly, some women insist on breast implant removal without replacement. In these cases, the implants and capsule are removed and the breasts are either left alone or a lift is performed to avoid the sagging "rock in a sock" look. In others, the pocket may be changed from under the gland to under the muscle. In others, the breast pocket may be modified or corrected before new implants are placed. While in others an implant exchange may be combined with all of these options (IE pocket change / breast lift or pocket repair / breast lift). The 'right' course of action depends on the size of your present implants, the present condition and examination of your breasts and your particular wishes.

Good luck.

Dr. P. Aldea