Is It Possible to Put Back Fat After Lower Blepharoplasty?

If the doctor takes out too much fat during lower blepharoplasty, making the eyes hollow-looking, is it possible to put back fat in the area? If so, what are some options for getting this done?

Fat grafting to correct hollow eyes after surgery

+2
Excessive removal of lower lid fat pads results in a hollowed-out appearance that makes blepharoplasty patients look tired or even ill. I see quite a number of eyelid surgery patients who require structural fat grafting of the lower lids to improve that very problem following an over-aggressive lower blepharoplasty in the past.
A relatively new technique has been developed called structural fat grafting, in which small amounts (less than 0.1 cc at a time) of fat are carefully microinjected in a series of discrete layers to gradually 'build' new soft tissue structure. As there is space between each microinjection, new blood vessels are able to grow into the grafted fat, allowing it to persist. If this process of blood vessel ingrowth (neovascularization) does not occur, then the injected tissue cannot truly be considered a 'graft' and is instead just another 'soft tissue filler' of limited duration.
I often perform structural fat grafting on upper and lowere eyelids on patients who have had overly-aggressive surgery perfomed by another physician that has left them looking hollow.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Fat can be added to correct the hollow eye after blepharoplasty

+2

open fat grafting to correct hollow eyes or dark circles under eyes

Dear Babyjoe,

Hollow looking eyes after blepharoplasty can be corrected by grafting fat from another body area into the lower or upper eyelid.

I use a direct method which places a fat graft back into the lower eyelid using a technique called a transconjunctival blepharoplasty. This technique is much more reliable that injecting fat. Injecting fat risks injury to the eye, and injected fat often heals with lumps and is easy to place in the wrong position.

I usually take a small piece of fat from inside the umbilicus or belly button. That way you will not have a visible scar where the fat is harvested.

Since part of the fat graft will dissolve after placement, I always over correct so that following the take of the graft, the plumping effect of the graft on the eyelid will be correct.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Fat grafting can be used to correct over-resection of orbital fat

+1

By using fat grafting techniques fat can be gently removed from another part of your body (e.g. abdomen, thighs, hips) and then injected into the hollowed out area under your eyes. Fat grafting in this area is very technique-dependent so you will want to have it done by someone who has extensive experience with this.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Fat replacement is not common

+1

Fat replacement is not a commonly performed procedure, if ever it is performed at all. Fillers may be placed under the eyes to help smooth the surfaces.

For more examples of Dermafillers injected to the eyes, Click on the link below.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Replacing fat after blepharoplasty

+1

Yes it is possible to place fat back into the lower eyelids after blepharoplasty.  Sometimes the fat can be repositioned. Other times the fat can be harvested from another site. It really depends on what the problem is to find the best solution. 

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Excess fat removal after blepharoplasty can be corrected by fat grafting.

+1

If too much fat has been removed after lower lid blepharoplasty, fat grafting can restore the volume.  In the past, aggressive removal of fat was considered proper technique.  As perspective was gained on results, the removal of fat has become much more conservative and, in some cases, unnecessary.  Occasionally, miscalculation can occur and the patient may end up with a "hollowed out" look.  Replenishing fat deep to the orbital septum can help.

Yes, fat grafting is possible

+1

Yes, there are fat grafting techniques that can be performed. The fat needs to be put back into the proper anatomical position and into the orbital septum and not into the subcutaneous skin. If it is placed in the subcutaneous area it will look like a glob of fat in the wrong location.

Frat Transfer After Blepharolplasty

+1

Hi Babyjoe,

Yes it is possible to perform fat transfer to the lower eye lid area after a blepharoplasty if it is felt that there is too little volume left. One should wait a few months to allow swelling to resolve and all healing to take place. The procedure is done with fat transfer and micro-fat injections.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Fat Can Be Transferred to Lower Eyelids

+1

If too much fat is removed during lower eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) there are methods to refill this area. Skilled cosmetic surgeons can transfer fat removed from other places in the body to the lower eyelid area. Prior to under taking this or as an alternative, fillers like Restylane and Juvederm can be used to refill this delicate area. Fillers in this area can last as long as 18-24 months. Preventive measures are best. Choose a skilled Ocular Plastic or Cosmetic Surgeon to perfom this procedure. When I perform this procedure I am very conservative in the removal of fat. I actually sit my patients up during the surgery to judge the amount of fat removed!

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Micro fat transfer with injections can often significantly improve this problem.

+1

Fat transfer of your own tissue which can be harvested from the hip, thigh, or abdomen can usually provide improvement to the overly "hollowed eye." This is done with a micro injection technique.

It is not possible to predict the amount of fat which will survive and it is sometimes necessary to inject more than once if there is significant absorption of the fat. In some cases it may be helpful to elevate the soft tissues of the midface as well to disguise the infraorbital(below the eye) grooving. The fat transfer is a simple procedure which often takes less than an hour and has a relatively quick recovery.

Stanley G. Poulos, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon