Possible to Have Cartilage Regrowth After Rhinoplasty?

My surgeon removed too much nose tip cartilage, basically taking out all the upper cartilage and leaving my nose underprojected.

Is there anything short of a cartilage graft that can help me? I would like to regrow my cartilage naturally using herbs or creams. I know it's a long shot but I've read a lot in the news lately about cartilage regrowth, including in the nose. Thank you.

Cartilage Growth After Rhinoplasty

+1

If too much cartilage is removed in Rhinoplasty, there are no techniques, creams, or lotions available to make it grow back.

Tissue growth techniques are not available for applications in Rhinoplasty.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and learn what options are available to you.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Surgically Removed Nasal Cartilage Does Not Grow Back

+1

The cartilage that was removed is not going to grow back.  Cartilage growing research is a long way from medical use in humans, though it is progressing.  For now, if you need more cartilage on the tip of your nose, it will need to be harvested from elsewhere on your body.  Most commonly the cartilage is taken from inside of the nose (septum) but this may not be available depending on what was done with your first surgery.  The ear is the typical second choice and the lower ribs is third, especially if you need large rigid pieces.

Some surgeons will use artificial material like silastic in the nose, but I prefer not to as the material can extrude, even years after the surgery.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correction of an overdone rhinoplasty

+1

The options for non-surgical improvement are limited.  The best option for a lack of cartilaginous support would be a cartilage graft from the ears, septum, or rib.  These are viable options. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Reshaping the nose can be beneficial

+1

It is important to meet with the surgeon who performed the procedure to outline your concerns.  An under projected nose can result from many different factors. If you are still unhappy after meeting with the primary surgeon a second opinion is in order.  At the present time it not possible for you to regrow the cartilage in your nose.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage does not grow back after rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty is a popular and effective surgery to recontour the shape of your nose. During the surgery, surgeons use multiple techniques to change the shape and character of your nose. A great deal of care must be taken as a small change in the amount or the position of your cartilage can result in a dramatic change in your overall appearance. If too much cartilage has been removed, the cartilage does not grow back. Your best bet is to return to your plastic surgeon and let them know of your concerns so that they can evaluate your nose and present options that can help correct this appearance

Pat Pazmino, MD

There is NO WAY for Removed Nasal Cartilage to Regenerate

+1

I fully agree with the other posts. Once removed, nasal cartilage will not regenerate and anyone or anything claiming to be able to do so with whatever means (pills / herbs / ointment / electric massage / telepathy / Yoga / crystals etc) is lying and defrauding you. get your operative records and see several experienced nose surgeons for their opinions. That will be much more useful to you.

Cartilage graft is the only treatment to give you predictable results

+1

There is no topical cream or any kind of injection to cause cartilage graft. The correction of the over resected cartilageis to do revision rhinoplasty.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage regrowth after rhinoplasty

+1

Cartilage regrowth does not occur after rhinoplasty, and I would suggest avoiding any creams that suggest they can produce this. I suggest seeing a board-certified surgeon in your area who is experienced with secondary rhinoplasty, and discussing whether or not you would need additional cartilage, and if so from where it should be harvested. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Cartilage regrowth after rhinoplasty doesn't work.

+1

The only way to give you what you need is with surgery. See an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon and you can achieve what you want. If creams worked we would all use them.

Cartilage can be grown in a laboratory but isn't practical for surgery yet

+1

There have been scientific studies where cartilage cells have been grown in a laboratory. There is a great photo of a mouse with an ear growing on it's back. Unfortunately this ear didn't maintain it's shape. It has been predicted to be a number of years before this is practical for human surgical application. No creams, herbs or vitamins will help surgically removed cartilage grow back.
Revision rhinoplasty has advanced so natural looking noses can be achieved, but usually require cartilage grafts from either your nasal septum, ear or sometimes rib.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD