Positive Experiences Dysport?

Hi, After reading horror stories from people on this forum (side effects), I admit I feel scared to try Dysport! It was recommended to me after a consultation with a dermatologist to address issues of my concern (mimic lines on the forehead, lines around my eyes). I never had it done before, and the Dr. recommended 120 units for the forehead, eyes and nose. I also mentioned that I would like to keep the natural look. Is that the normal amount and are there any positive experiences with Dysport?

Re: Positive Experiences With Dysport

It is quite understandable that you would feel concerned about using Dysport after reading examples of poor results.

The recommended dosage you mentioned sounds about average.

With any cosmetic procedure, the quality of the outcome depends on the skill of the physician. So it is important to do your research and find someone who is board certified and can offer examples of their work in the form of photos/videos.

Also, many people are able to maintain a natural look. So again, this really depends on the doctor’s technical skill and their ability to create strategies that would look best for the patient.

If you are looking for positive Dysport stories, here is a patient video you might be interested in.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

819 N Harbor Blvd
Redondo Beach, CA 90277

Excellent results with Dysport

Injection technique is far more critical to a natural outcome than is the product.  While they do have some slight theoretical differences, Botox and Dysport are extremely similar in their clinical profiles.  Several studies have compared them head to head, suggesting Dysport may last longer for Crow's feet, may have a slightly quicker onset of action, and may diffuse more.

The bottom line is that In the right hands you will have beautiful results with either Botox or Dysport.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

120 South Spalding Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Dysport Side Effects

Hi Ani.  Dysport has been on the market in Europe for the same time as Botox has been in the US.  It is an excellent product with the same side effects as Botox.  We prefer it because our patients get more of it for the same price as Botox and this increases the duration of the effects. 

A lot of the folks that post on Realself has had bad experiences and are looking for expertise.  This is the nature of the industry.  Those that are happy with their procedures don't need Realself as much because everything went as planned. 

Dysport is one of the easiest cosmetic procedures to have so there is very little to be concerned about.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

23211 Hawthorne Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90505

Dysport or Botox

These products are similar and though there may be some advantages to using one or the other in certain areas it really is an issue of your surgeon's preference and would suggest you discuss with your surgeon.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

230 George Bush Blvd
Delray Beach, FL 33444

The effects of Dysport are very comparable to the effects of Botox.  120 units of Dysport is a modest amount, but you should still get some good results.  

Sam Naficy, MD

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Dysport versus Botox

I have been using both products for a long period of time and from my experience they are fairly similar.  I find that some patients may prefer one over another for whatever reason (better result, longer action, etc), so there is some subjectivity to the neurotoxins.  However, most of the result and the rate of complications depend on the injector expertise and the dosage administered.  So, if you find an experienced MD injector (facial plastic/ plastic surgeon/ dermatologist/ occuloplastic) you should be happy with the result. Good luck

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

1046 South Orange Avenue
Short Hills, NJ 07078

Dysport is a great product.  If used properly results are very desirable.  120 units does not sound like too much for those three areas.  Make sure you are getting injected by an experienced provider. 

Good luck.  Enjoy! 

Dr. Grant Stevens        Marina Plastic Surgery Associates          Marina del Rey, CA         The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

4644 Lincoln Blvd
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292

Positive experiences with Dysport

I have been using Dysport since it was FDA approved, and Botox for nearly 20 years (long before its FDA approval). Both products are very similar. As long as you see an experienced, physician injector, I would think you will be happy. For a full treatment I usually do 150 units (full forehead, between the eyebrows, and down to the crow's feet), so 120 units is modest and therefore reasonable. Please understand that a lot of people use the internet to issue warnings and complaints, and that as a society we unfortunately don't post overwhelmingly positive experiences about very much.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

8937 W Sahara Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89117

Can I expect a positive experience with Dysport?

Problems with Botox or Dysport are typically injector related. Either the product is put in the wrong place or an excessive amount is used. These problems are much less common in the hands of an experienced injector which includes most of the plastic surgeons and dermatologists on RealSelf. The amount you've been recommended is not unusual for the forehead, glabella, crow's feet and nasal "bunny" lines. I actually prefer Botox over Dysport as Botox has less tendency to spread beyond the injection area. However, both are great products and you'll find that about 1/2 of plastic surgeons prefer one and the other 1/2 prefers the other. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

9695 S. Yosemite Street
Lone Tree, Colorado 80124

Dysport forehead lines

Dear Ani,

• In Europe, Dysport was called Reloxin and has been out for longer than Dysport has
  • I use it more often than Botox because the onset of effects are quicker
  • 120units is a normal amount, typically it takes 50 units for the glabella, 50 for the crow's feet, 20-40 for the forehead, and about 20 for the nose

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

201 South Lasky Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212