Difference in Portrait PSR Treatments and Settings?

I am thinking of having Portrait because I have a lot of sunspots on my face and wrinkles around my eyes. I have been reading about Portrait online, but am confused by the options of the settings of PSR1, 2, 3, and also have seen references to "joules". What is the difference between these settings, and how is the right setting determined? Do doctors use different settings for different areas?

Plasma Portrait for Sun Spots

+1

First, I must advise that there is a shortage of Portrait nozzles in the country at this time as they are no longer being manufactured. However, this is expected to change in 2010. PSR is a wonderful resurfacing technology that blends a great result with acceptable downtime and which is very safe.

PSR 1, 2, and 3 are related to the amount of energy used. PSR 1 uses about 1J (Joule) of energy and is a single pass technique on the face or other parts of the body (chest, neck, hands). It is designed for skin tightening and there is very little or no downtime. However, the results are less impressive than higher energies settings. Frequently, it is a multiple treatment approach.

PSR 2, and 3 are high energy settings (3-4 J) and are reserved for use on the face only. PSR 2 is a single pass technique, PSR 3 a double pas technique. PSR 2 and 3 will cause a patient to look like they have a very bad sunburn which is on the verge of peeling. There is surprisingly little pain. Based on the description of your skin, I would advise a PSR2 or 3 treatment, assuming you could set aside a week for recovery. In SW Florida, the majority of my patients receive PSR3 at 3.8-4 J due to the prevalence of sun damage.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

That is PSR 2 or 3 and will take at least 7 days to heal.

+1

A "level 4" treatment would be either a PSR 2 or 3 and the recovery is going to be at least a week of hiding out.  After that, you should be able to apply a mineral makeup to cover the pink.  That level of treatment is really only advised for people with fair complexions.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Different settings are used based on severity of problems and patient tolerance

+1

Different settings are determined by the amount of photoaging, skin color and your tolerance for down time and discomfort. Very mild settings such as Portrait Express does not require anesthetic whereas the PSR 3 usually involves medication to relax you and pain killers during the procedure with anesthetic cream. The down time ranges from none to 10 days depending on the energy settings.

Ronald Shelton, MD