Is rhinoplasty with rosacea a good idea?

Hello! I am a 36-year-old female patient with a history of rosacea. Gratefully, Finacea and 4 IPL treatments have kept it controlled. In the past few years I have noticed a thickening of the skin of my nose, accentuating that my nose has always been a bit wide with a bulbous tip. I am now considering a rhinoplasty. What is your experience with rhinoplasty with rosacea, eg., can I expect a good outcome? Is there anything specific I ask in consults? Thank you!

+2
The rosacea should be controlled to the extent possible.  A rhinoplasty can be performed to refine the nose further.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Rhinoplasty and rosacea

+2
Its best to try to keep the rosacea under control prior to undergoing elective cosmetic surgery especially in the nasal tip. The thickness of the dermis of the nasal tip will determine eventual outcome  While the rosacea can just prolong the healing process.

Rhinoplasty could be a good idea

+1
In a rhinoplasty , the underlying structure/skeleton of the nose is altered, verses problems with the skin being thickened with rosacea. If you have always had a bulbous/boxy tip rhinoplasty can improve your nasal appearance. You may want to consider dermabrasion or laser resurfacing once your nose has healed depending on the degree of rosacea/rhinophyma .

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Rosacea with thicken nasal skin

+1
Yes, a rhinoplasty can be performed to reduce your nasal tip. Are you getting early rhinophyma? You should get treatment for that so it will not develop and you develop a nose like W.C. Fields.

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon