Needing One Breast to Drop Still 8 Months After Surgery?

I had breast implants put in 8 months ago, they are under the muscle, silicone implants. The right one has dropped and given a beautiful result. However, the left implant remains higher. I have been massaging them, which was all my doctor recommended. I was never told about using a bandeau but after doing my own research, I discovered this suggestion. After wrapping , I found the implant falling into place to match the right one. Should I be using a bandeau at this point to help the process?

Late for Implant Settling

+2
It is good to hear that you are getting improvement with the band,  It is late for an implant to be settling at 8 months, but since it is helping I would continue for another couple of months. If no improvement, then reoperation will be necessary to achieve symmetry.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Implant riding high after breast augmentation.

+2

Typically, implants settle into position within a few months from the initial breast augmentation procedure.  8 months postoperatively is more than adequate time for the implant to have seated into its pocket.  Continuing with the bandeau and implant massage is advised, but may not fully achieve your hopes, but certainly will not hurt.  Further discussion with your surgeon should be considered if no improvement is seen or if it worsens, as the reason why could be due to inadequate pocket formation or capsular contracture formation, which usually forms within a year from the procedure.  Surgical revision may be considered to ameliorate this if needed, if these are the reason for the issue.  Thank you for your question...good luck!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Managing the high positioned breast implant

+2

Thank you for the question.  At 8 months it might be that your capsule has formed and the implant will not want to descend any further.  You can use a bandeau if you would like and it may help.  If you do not see any additional improvement you may want to discuss opening up the capsule with your plastic surgeon.

Dr Remus Repta 

Remus Repta, MD

High breast implant

+2

Eight months is a long time for an implant to settle.  If you have seen improvement with the bandeau, continue using it.  If the implant continues to ride high, you may need surgical correction to lower the implant.  Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD

Bandau and Implant Drop

+2

If you feel that the implant is at its ideal position, then you can stop.  If the implant is still high and you feel the bandau is still working, keep with the bandau.  I would meet with the plastic surgeon if you feel the implant is still high to discuss further options. 

Uneven Breast Implants

+2

Hi Lucy,

• After breast augmentation, it generally take 6 weeks to 6 months for the breasts to soften and settle. It is very frustrating for both the patient and the PS when that doesn't happen. 
  • Although many patients will have a good result without massage and/or elastic compression (bandeau), these aids can be very helpful. 
  • If your left implant is now settling with wrapping, continue this for another several months. 
  • If  non-surgical efforts are unsuccessful, surgical revision may be necessary.

Thanks for your question and good luck!

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

+2

If the bandeau is working, keep with it. It is a pleasant surprise to find that this is effective after 8 months. Thanks for sharing your experience. All the best. 

Implant high at 8 months

+1

I am glad to hear your wrapping is providing improvement, but it is very unlikely that after 8 months you will avoid capsulectomy surgery.  It is very effective and recovery is worth the 1-2 days to get the implant into proper placement. My patients who have this experience are always happier with the 20 minute operation that gets them fixed and back to work in a day. Good Luck

Neil Gottlieb, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Failure of one breast implant to settle

+1

Thank you for your question.  You will need to have your plastic surgeon examine the breasts to determine if any scar tissue has developed around the breast implant that has not settled.  If a capsular contracture has developed, you will need to have the capsule/scar tissue removed to allow the breast implant position to match.  I hope this helps.  Best wishes!

William J. Vinyard, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Revision

+1

If you have been using your bandeau, then at this point it is unlikely that the breast will fall into place.  You should speak to the surgeon who originally treated you.  It may require a small revision to release some tissue and allow the implant to settle into place.  

Christopher Khorsandi, MD