Will My Implant Drop or is the Pocket Not Big Enough? (photo)

3 Weeks Post Op and Left Breast Hasn't Seemed to Have Dropped Very Much. Will It Drop or is the Pocket Not Big Enough? I had 475cc mentor mod+ saline smooth round implants placed on 2/26/13. My left has always been a bit more sore and sitting a little higher. My right breast has dropped down and is looking great but not only has lefty not dropped but I feel the shape buldges more on the side :-( I have an appt on April 8th and will inquire about this. But would like some more opinions is this normal? Will it settle? Thank you

Will My Implants Drop? #breastimplants

+1

It can take up to 3 months at least for implants to drop especially if they are in the submuscular plane. It also depends on if your surgeon is one who releases the muscle or leaves it attached mostly. You are very early in the post op period so just give this time and perform your implant exercises as explained by your surgeon.

Implants can take some time to drop

+1

You are still quite early in your healing process- try not to worry about any asymmetry or implant position issues quite yet.  By 3 months you should have a better idea about how they will look in the long run, and it is very common to have the questions that you are currently asking so soon after surgery.  I'm going to bet you will be very happy with everything once you give the swelling a chance to completely subside.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Questions about implant and breast shape following a breast augmentation

+1

You are very early in the post operative period and the implant and breast shape will surely change over the next 6 months.  Continue to follow the advice of your plastic surgeon as he is in the best position to understand your anatomy.  Given time your breast implants should drop and hopefully you will give a nice symmetric result.  

Asymmetry after implants

+1

At this point after your surgery it is far too early to make any judgements about the final position of your implants. It will take at least 3-4 months. From what I can tell from your picture, the difference does not seem to be so significant that it will be a problem in the long run. So be patient and good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

After three weeks tou are in the early healing period. Give yourself a few months to heal and the implants should drop into position. Keep in touch with your surgeon. All the best

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants High at Three Weeks

+1

Breast implants seeming too high at three weeks is normal, especially if the implants are behind the muscle. It may take 3-6 months to settle down, and the shape will often change a little more out to a year. After that, the normal aging process continues. For now, give your body time to heal. Keep your follow-up appointments and discuss your concerns. A little reassurance is usually all the treatment that is required. If the implant stays high, it is possible to fix it, and waiting is still important so the the results will be more predictable next time.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post-augmentation--not yet dropped equally.

+1

Without post-op photos it is harder to comment knowledgeably, but even without photos, I can tell you that 3 weeks is still early, and things are bound to change. Even though your surgeon did surgery as symmetrically as possible, your breasts will not heal, soften, settle, and drop at exactly the same rate. This is further impacted by your handedness, since you use one hand (your dominant one) more than the opposite, and that can cause either more swelling, bruising and scar tissue, or less as it resolves more quickly with use (I've seen both).

Unless your present discrepancy is great, this is usually something that most patients see, and things tend to even out over time. Perhaps your surgeon may instruct you in the use of an elastic bandeau to help modify your implant positions as they heal--this can help.

So to answer your questions directly: Yes, it's normal (probably), and it does settle (usually)! Sorry for the imprecision, but that's the honest answer. Best wishes and cheers to your new look! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Early postop waiting for implant to drop

+1

Congratulation on your most recent surgery. It's not uncommon for one breast to recovery faster than the other side. It take at least 3 months for the final breast shape and result to settle in place. Since there is no postop photo available so I can't comment on the specifics. Even from the preop photo, it appears that your left breast sits a bit higher on the chest than the right side.  It's great that you are following up with your plastic surgeon to monitor the progress of your recovery. Be patient and allow the healing to complete before deciding whether one breast is actually higher than the other.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

3 Weeks to early

+1

It takes about 3 to 6 months until the final shape of breast augmentation surgery takes place. Unless there is gross differences 6 weeks after the surgery then you need to wait it out before any correction should be made.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon