I would like to take my 14 yr old saline under the muscle implants out and get a lift. Should I do it at the same time?

Should I do it at the same time? Would I have a better outcome if I take them out and let my breast heal into their natural shape before I lift them? I am currently a 38D (before implants I was a B cup). I don't have any issues with deflation or capsular contraction.They are just very heavy and I find it difficult to do things like exercise etc. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Implant removal and breast lift at the same time.

+2
I recommend you consider having the saline removed from your implants.  I have found this to be very, very helpful with implant removal and breast lift done at the same time, especially is there is considerable asymmetry.  I re-evaluate my patients about 3 weeks after the saline has been removed to finalize the plan for the implant removal and breast lift.  See my blog on this topic which has an example. 

+1
You can probably get a better result if you stage the procedure (ie do the implant removal at the first stage, wait several months and then do the lift).  That's because you will have given your own tissues a chance to contract and heal on their own, and the lift will be that much more accurate.

On the other hand, that mandates a second surgery.  For that reason, most people combine the procedures and you can expect to get a very nice result with that, too.

You should discuss this with your PS and look at the advantages and disadvantages of each approach.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of RealSelf100

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

+1

Thank you for the question. Yes it is  often safe to have the  breast lift performed at the same time as  breast implant removal. However, if there is a concern about the potential for blood flow to the breast tissues, it may be safer to do the procedure in 2 stages.   In other words, it may be in your best interests to have the breast implants removed, allow for the breast skin to contract as much as it will over the course of several months and then make a decision whether or not to proceed with breast lifting surgery at a later date.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in person will be helpful.

I hope this, and the attached link helps.

+1
It's OK to do that but another and possibly better, idea would be to have your surgeon remove the saline from the implants through a small needle so the implants are empty and let the breast tissue shrink around them for 6-12 weeks before the lift. Then your surgeon will have a better idea on what is necessary to get the best lift for you.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Implant Removal

+1
Hi Sundancer,
We would deflate your implants in the office by suctioning out all the saline with a small needle stick.  Then you can be correctly evaluated to see if you need a breast lift.  Some doctors do like to "two-stage" the surgeries, but this method replaces a removal procedure with simply an office procedure.  The implants are easily removed when you have your lift. 
Be sure to see only a board certified plastic surgeon (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who is a member of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons). All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Should I have breast explantation and breasts lift at the same time?

+1
Whether or not it would be a good idea to remove your breast implants and perform a breast lift at the same time will depend on several factors.  When a breast lift is performed there is some reduction of normal blood flow especially to the center of the breast.  This is the nipple and the surrounding dark tissue called the areola.  If your surgeon feels that there is sufficient blood flow to this area after explantation then an associated breast lift may be offered.  If your implants are above the muscle the tissues may have thinned out enough to make it safer to perform the breast lift after healing is completed following the explantation.  Very likely it will also depend on whether or not your surgeon feels that you need a capsulectomy which is removal of the capsule.  It is possible that you will not require any type of breast lift after removal of your implants.  If there is any question as to whether or not you will need a breast lift it would be best to allow for complete healing first.  If your implants are currently saline filled it may be helpful to first have your surgeon remove the saline with a needle and syringe before you undergo removal of the implants to help you  visualize how your breasts will look after removal and no breast lift.  Good luck

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon