Is it possible to fix diastasis recti after a kidney transplant? Kidney will be transplanted in lower abdomen near pelvic bone.

I am currently on peritoneal dialysis and it makes me look 7-8 months pregnant. It has caused a diastasis recti from my sternum to belly button. I also have an umbilical hernia. Kidney will be transplanted in lower abdomen near pelvic bone. Because of the transplant location, would the best way to fix it be to just repair the muscle? Or is a full tummy tuck in order and safe? I don't plan on having this for at least one year after transplant, and would consult with the transplant team first.

Is it possible to fix diastasis recti after a kidney transplant?

+1
The answer to your question is "possibly". It depends on your state of health and degree of risked and that has to be determined by the doctor(s) that follow you for immune suppression. After all the diastasis repair is considered cosmetic and no exceptional risks should be taken with your health for a cosmetic surgery.

+1
 Thank you for the question. Dr. Connall has provided an excellent response to your question. Ultimately, assuming you are in good health,  are a good candidate for the procedure, and have clearance from the doctors who know you best, it is likely that you will be able to proceed safely. You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck concerns, helpful to you as you learn more about the procedure. Best wishes with your upcoming  transplant!

Diastasis recti repair afte kidny transplant

+1
This is an excellent question. It is complex with many considerations and a complex risk/benefit analysis that goes beyond the scope of this forum.

Once a successful transplant occurs and a patient is stable on immunosuppression, a key question becomes if any elective surgery is appropriate. When the time comes you will need to have a discussion with your transplant nephrologist and your transplant surgeon.

With a diastasis recti, the treatment may be to correct symptoms (such as pain or difficulties with exercise) or for purely cosmetic reasons. The threshold to operate to treat symptoms may be different than if the surgery is for cosmesis only.

Generally, the best way to correct a diastasis recti is with some type of tummy tuck, be it a "mini", "modified", or traditional tummy tuck. This would likely hold true for the kidney transplant patient.

Cosmetic surgery is not absolutely contraindicated in the transplant patient, but in considering surgery everyone must proceed with realism and prudence.

My wife has had two kidney transplants and a pancreas transplant and is doing well.

Timothy Connall, MD