How Long is the Healing Process with Muscle Repair? (photo)

I'm 4 weeks PO & still am not standing straight!! My issue is during the day I'm almost standing straight but by the time the day is over, I'm bent over because my stomach muscles are so tight I can barely stand. I massage my stomach & the muscles relax. Just wanted to know is. This normal? & how long does it take for the MR to heal completely? My PS has me really tight & I love that I'm so flat. Just ready to be healed :-) Also I have a 1 yr old who is 23lbs when can I lift him/hold him?

How Long is the Healing Process with Muscle Repair?

+2

Dear MSASH,

Thank you for your post.  The tightness of the muscle repair is not what is causing you to bend over.  It is muscle spam and these are to different things.  You might ask for a muscle relaxer from your surgeon.  In general, at 6 weeks, the muscle repair should be well healed.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

The muscle tightening is in the opposite direction of the  muscles activity in bending and straightening--the repair is perpendicular to the skin incision. The muscles may be in spasm because the early positioning due to skin tightness. 

By four weeks if this is still a problem I would consider a brief course of physical therapy. If you haven't used any muscle relaxants you might ask your surgeon about these options.All the best. 

Muscle reapair recovery

+1

It usually takes about 6 weeks to start feeling normal after a muscle repair and about 3 months for the repair to be solid enough to resume strenuous activities.  What you are describing sounds normal and is not a reason for concern.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Muscle Tightening

+1

Thank you for your pictures. Everybody's healing time to the muscle tightening is different. Your response may be just longer than others. Follow your plastic surgeons advice and recommendations. You should be fine.

Good luck.  

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Tightness of the abdomen an abdominoplasty

+1

Your condition sounds about normal and I would not be too concerned.  Stretching exercises can help with the tightness but this may persist for several months.  

Complete healing from abdominoplasty takes months.

+1

In my practice I asked patients not to do any activity that targets the abdominal muscles for about six weeks. Then they are allowed to resume the source of exercises gradually increasing until their it for capacity and three months. Even then there still healing in front of them.

+1

Always best to be seen by your PS IN PERSON to respond to these concerns. You really need to follow the operating surgeons advise.