Should I Return to Original Surgeon for Porex Implant Removal?

I have a Porex implant has become exposed. I had it done abroad. I am back in the UK now and the maxiliofacial consultant seems to have no experience with Porex. I had them done 5 weeks ago and now they have to be removed because the left one is exposed.

Should I return to the original surgeon or let them operate in this country? How difficult is it to remove after 5 weeks?

Who should you see for a problem with a Porex nasal implant

+1

Hello, BEC.  It is very unfortunate that you have this problem, and I would first suggest you seek someone with a great deal of experience with this type of implant.  I have used various types of Porex nasal implants for about 20 years. I found it very reliable and safe with a lack of exposure and infection, other than in my early use of the thin sheet to mimmic the thin tip cartilage.  Unlike silicone which floats in a capsule, antibiotics may work for this because of how tissue grows into Porex and you may not need to have it removed at this time.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Porex implant removal

+1

If possible I would return to the original surgeon because the surgoen who placed the implants obviously has experience with placement and most likely with rmoval. There may also be some unique about the technique used to insert these that the surgeon is more likely aware.

Should I return to original surgeon for Porex implant removal?

+1

Dear Bec,

As regards "Should I return to the original surgeon or let them operate in this country? How difficult is it to remove after 5 weeks? "

You just enunciated THE major risk of medical tourism. What do you do when you go elsewhere for an elective procedure and complications ensue?

Frankly, As regards "maxiliofacial consultant seems to have no experience with Porex" - that makes NO sense. POREX implants have been on the market for almost 20 years. All American plastic surgeons are familiar with them. I would assume that a well-trained British Maxillofacial surgeon would be AS familiar with them if not more (NO FDA like body in the UK slowing innovation to a crawl). I suspect that he/she does not want to assume someone else's mess when they were not good enough to be asked to do the procedure in the first place.

I have full confidence that British surgeons CAN and will do a good job IF they are fairly compensated for the work dealing with your implant. You need to find another one.

Furthermore, I am NOT sure that they need to be removed. Unlike other implants, POREX implants become invaded by blood vessels and scar tissue and are incorporated - that makes their removal bloody and tedious. Depending on its location and amount of exposure, it MAY be possible to burr or shave the exposed part without removing the implant.

Again - you need to find someone who will be willing to take this on.

I hope this was helpful.

Peter A Aldea, MD, FACS
www.TheBeautyDoctors.com