Can Porcelain Veneers Be Shaved Down?

I have a porcelain veneers (2 front teeth) that is very thick and it affects my speech. Can it be shaved down?

Veneers can be shortened

+1

We can always shorten we can never lengthen so be sure you want them shorter. I like a longer veneer personally so ask around to your family and friends and see what they think of your teeth. Dont ask them about your two teeth, just ask them about your smile.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Can Porcelain Veneers be shaved down?

+1

Yes, they can. What you can't do with veneers is adding to their length. But shortening them is quite easy and with the help of special discs you can change their shape or make them shorter.

Kate Sahafi, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Contouring Porcelain Veneers

+1

Usually it is possible to shave down or contour the porcelian.  If your speech is affected, the inside (palate-side) of the porcelain may be too thick - and shaving it may help.  You can also try this trick:  Look in a mirror and watch your mouth make the words that are being affected (e.g. - if you're lisping your "esses" - say "susie sells seashells by the seashore...").  Do this several times, and you may find the problem is fixed -- something about watching your mouth make the words seems to help a lot.

Susan Goode Estep, DMD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist