Should I Get Porcelain Veneers?

My canine teeth are actually in place of my lateral incisor teeth (2nd teeth), so my ortho wanted to shave my canine teeth down. But, she said if I am thinking about getting veneers, it would be a waste. So, I am thinking I want to get some of my gum line removed on the top because it is a little gummy, 10 porcelain veneers, and teeth whitening on the bottom. Does this sound like a bad idea? Living in Florida, how much do you think all of that would cost? Could you break it down for me.

Lateralization of cuspids

+1

Its sounds like the treatment plan is acceptable provided you work with a dentist who uses a "high end" lab that knows how to turn a cuspid into a lateral at the waxup stage.  Also make sure the dentist is experienced at gum contouring with his /her laser.  It is critical that this step is planned out and communicated to the lab before any waxup is completed. 

I would think a veneer in Fla. would cost $1,500 - $2000 depending on who you go to.  Make certain the they use a highly reputable lab and have extensive cosmetic training.  One thing I have learned in 20 years of practice is that out of all the places there are to save money,  your smile should not be one of them.  Its the first thing people notice.

Good Luck,

John Schmid,  DDS LVIF

Austin Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers to Improve Smile

+1

I have no idea what your teeth look like at this point. But if your only issue is missing laterals then I would consult a different othodontist. pulling canines forward causes so many issues. 1) canines have a function in the mouth which they can’t do if they are not in the correct place. I like opening or holding the space and resolving with implants or even porcelain retained bridges if the space is inadequate or uneven. 2) the bone structure above the tooth always looks more full because the canine has a big round root. If your issue is missing teeth ,why cover every tooth in your mouth? I would see a highly experienced cosmetic dentist who then can coordinate care with specialist as needed.

Newton Cosmetic Dentist

Venners

+1

I think getting veneers is a great option! Since the treatment will be extensive I highly recommend you have a consult with a cosmetic dentist versus a general dentist. Make sure you feel comfortable with the doctor and his skill regarding the gum treatment, it is a very important part of the treatment. As far as cost, I am here in MA and prices range everywhere.

Natick Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain veneers would get you the most ideal result

+1

In my opinion the best way to handle missing upper lateral incisors is to open or leave the space needed for them and replace them with dental implants.

Making canines look like laterals is very difficult because they are much larger. Not only the width, length, and thickness but also the size of the root at the gumline. Also the gumline is often different. You can camouflage to an acceptable level but if you are really picky you will notice details that cannot be corrected with this approach. To get the best result, the orthodontist will have to place the canines slighly inward to minimize the root prominence. Then by recontouring the gums and placing veneers you will get a very nice result. But not as perfect as with properly done implants.

The number of veneers depends on your smile and how the rest of the teeth look but at least 4-6 will give the correct proportions.

cost depends on location (rural vs urban) and number of veneers. Also, if the gum can be recontoured with a laser or if it needs to be a more invasive procedure with bone removal. You will need a consultation with the general/ cosmetic dentist and with the periodontist (gum specialist) to get final costs. Veneers should average in the $1100 to $1500 for each one but can vary depending on difficulty of case and number of veneers.

Good luck

Dr. T

Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

10 Veneers and gum treatment?

+1

The treatment plan sounds great , cost can range but make sure you select someone who has experience look at their past cases... cost for veneers $1400.00- $2000.00 per veneer and gum treatment will depend on whether just soft tissue removal or bone and soft tissue removal fee's $1200.00-$3600.00 good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers

+1

Your plan sounds perfect! Definitely consult with an experienced Cosmetic Dentist in Florida. The gum recontouring has to be carefully planned and coordinated with the placement of the Veneers. Costs vary widely, depending on location, experience of Dentist, and quality of the Laboratory used.

New York Cosmetic Dentist