Porcelain Veneers

Hi dentists, I have six porcelain veneers done on my upper part of my mouth one ago. I was happy with the result at first, but sometimes, when I look at my veneers, some day, they seem grey, dull, but some day they are bright. It has driven me mad. What should I do the maintenance of shinning and bright teeth thanks. From Alice

Maintaining porcelain veneers

+1

Your dentist should be able to polish the veneers with polishing paste to help achieve some of the original luster that they had.  Do not use abrasives on them as they can dull the glaze and actually make it worse

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Maintaining Porcelain Veneers

+1

When you see your dentist, ask him to polish them with Porcelain Polishing Paste. Do NOT use abrasive toothpastes at home. They could dull the glaze.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain veneers are very color stable

+1

The change in light sources, natural light to incandescent to fluorescent etc, will affect how the veneers appear.  There really is nothing that can be done to change color or brightness of veneers, and some brands of veneers look more natural than others (you'll have to ask your dentist the brand).

I see this concern more often with patients that only had 6 veneers done.  With 8-10 veneers (the smile zone) the change in light source is less noticeable.

As long as you see your dentist at the suggested intervals (every 6 months?  every 3-4?) and the office is trained in how to maintain and clean veneers (you DON'T want that gritty toothpaste the hygienist uses to get on the veneers) you should be fine.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

How much does it bother you?

+1

Hello there,

You have to weigh the risks vs benefits. It really comes down to how much and how often it bothers you. My advice would be not to touch them unless you absolutely dislike them ( which does not seem to be the case). Remember everytime you redo something, you have less tooth to work with. If you decide to get them redone. Make sure you see the new veneers under all lighting conditions before you decide to have them bonded permanently. Hope this helps.

Aria Irvani DDS

Aria Irvani, DDS
Irvine Cosmetic Dentist