Are Porcelain Veneers Recommended for Really Crooked Teeth?

Is it possible for an adult to correct extremely crooked teeth with veneers, or should they see an orthodontist?

Crooked teeth may need ortho prior to veneers

+3

If your teeth are very overlapped or crowded, it is best to get orthodontics to correct this prior to veneers. This allows for less tooth structure to be removed and a much better esthetic result. It also allows for a healthier periodontal situation beacuse the teeth will be more easy to clean and trap less plaque

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers do have limitations

+2

Whenever something is changed in the body, we have to ask ourselves if it is working within the parameters of nature or against them.  This can help us come to the best solution for a problem.  Veneers can definitely correct poorly aligned teeth, even "severely crowded" teeth but with some drawbacks.

1)  For long-term success with veneers, the veneer should be bonded primarily to the outer layer of the tooth which is enamel.  When teeth are severely crowded and rotated we have to shave a lot of enamel away to create enough room to build the veneers with a straighter alignment.  This means that the veneers are being bonded to the second layer of tooth called dentin.  Dentin bonds usually do not last as long as enamel bonds.  Are you willing to replace your veneers more often by doing this treatment?

2)  When the teeth are crowded, the roots of the teeth might be tipped in unfavorable angles.  Although the teeth may look straight, forces of biting and chewing may be directed along the roots in damaging ways which could lead to periodontal problems.

If you do orthodontics either in place of veneers, or to line up the roots and teeth more favorably and then place veneers, less enamel will be removed and the veneers will last longer.

Check with your dentist and orthodontist to find out what they feel would be the treatment that is in your best interest and leave you with the healthiest and most durable result. 

Martin Frankel, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers on Crooked Teeth

+2

While it is possible to place veneers on crooked teeth, it may be better to have them straightened first. If your dentist designs the veneers to make the crooked teeth look straighter, he will probably have to make some areas thicker than others. This will feel weird to you and it is not as healthy for the surrounding gum tissue. Aligning the teeth before veneer construction will allow for nicer looking, healthier veneers.

Greg Jorgensen, DMD, MS
Albuquerque Orthodontist

Get an Ortho consult before

+2

Even though veneers can do amazing things, I would not consider them on severely crowded teeth before having a consultation with an Orthodontist. You want to make a decision knowing all your alternatives. Like Dr. Jablow said, if you get your crowding corrected before you do the veneers, the tooth structure to be removed is going to be much less and the gum health much more improved. You could also avoid the veneers all together if  the shape and color of your teeth are fine. On the other hand, if having braces or Invisalign is not posible, veneers can do the trick under the hand of an experienced Dentist. Just make sure you know exactly what you are getting into and make a decision knowing all the alternatives.

Ricardo Seir, DDS
Livonia Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers and Crooked Teeth

+2

Correcting severely crowded or "crooked" teeth can be accomplished both orthodontically or restoratively.  The risk in correcting them restoratively lies in the severity of the crowding.  If the teeth are rotated too severely, they will be at risk for needing endodontic treatment (root canals) performed.  This is relative to the amount of tooth structure that would need to be removed during the restorative process to achieve the desired esthetic outcome.  Usually these restorations are porcelain crowns vs. veneers.

My suggestion would be to consult a restorative dentist that is well trained in smile makeovers (cosmetic dentistry) and express these concerns.  I always suggest (and prefer) orthodontic treatment to correct severe crowding, whether it is the only treatment rendered or it is adjunctive to eventual restorative treatment.  Aligning the teeth allows for a more conservative approach to the restorations (i.e. veneers).

Chad Colson, DMD
Myrtle Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Dental veneers for crooked teeth.

+2

Dental porcelain veneers can be used to correct crooked teeth, something called "nstant orthodontics".  This type of treatment can result in a beautiful smile, but there is often very aggressive preparation of tooth structure in order to idealize the result.

Orthodontics on the other hand can move the teeth and re-align them which is much more conservative. This takes more time and does not change the shape of colour of teeth, something that porcelain veneers will do.

Best thing is to discuss both options as they relate to your situation with your doctor.

Dan Hagi, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Really Crooked Teeth - porcelain veneers or braces?

+1

There are many things to consider when considering which of the two can or should be done to correct really crooked teeth, braces or porcelain veneers?

Your first question, is it possible to just do veneers?  The answer for most adults is yes.  But you also asked what is best, and most dentists and orthodontists would argue that orthodontics would be the best alternative.  But, be aware that orthodontics is not without its downside.  Many times for adults treatment can vary between 9 to 30 months.  And, almost always a long term use of retainers will be necessary to prevent relapse, or the teeth going back to their original crooked position.  Many orthodontists will tell the adult patients that they will need to wear a night time retainer for the rest of their life if they want to keep them straight.  And, there was one study that said that 100% of all adult orthodontic patients eventually get relapse to some degree.

In my cosmetic dental practice I have treated many adult patients who not only had crooked teeth, but also didn't like the color, size or shape of their teeth.  Also they didn't want months to years of treatment.  Porcelain veneering enabled us to treat these patients in several weeks, and because we didn't actually move their teeth, they didn't need to wear retainers.  

I don't think there is only one best way to treat my patients, either braces or veneers, as I do refer many patients to orthodontists.  However, I feel many times porcelain veneers is the best option for my patients and I like to inform them of all the pros and cons, and let them make informed decisions on how they would like to be treated.  After all, it is their mouth and smile!

If you would like to see a number of examples of how cosmetic dentistry corrected patients with crooked teeth without braces, go to the link below, and go through and read about the patients and their treatment.  I think you'll be enlightened about the benefits of cosmetic dentistry!

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers for Crooked Teeth

+1

It is possible to correct really crooked teeth with veneers but it is not the best treatment option.

The best option is to straighten the teeth first with Invisalign or braces. This is also the least invasive option. It does take longer than veneers but the results will be more stable over time with less maintenance.

Doing veneers on crooked teeth usually requires removing a lot of healthy tooth and causing irreversible damage. Furthermore, the veneers won't last forever and will likely have to be replaced or repaired in 10-15 year on average.

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Crooked teeth and veneers

+1

In the situations with severely crooked teeth we recommend orthodontic input first. Usually it regards not only the look of the teeth, but occlusion, bite, surrounding bone and gum. Without proper orthodontic treatment and alignment can lead to devastating effects in long-term. Veneers are usually used for minor corrections.

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Get Braces For Really Crooked Teeth

+1

Go have an orthodontic consult for really crooked teeth.  Doing procelain veneers may fix the problem in the short run but remember you can get cavities under them, staining at the margins and they can break - they don't last forever.  Veneers can be wonderful but braces are always the first choice.

Wendy S. Spektor, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist