Can Porcelain Veneers Mask an Occlusal Cant?

I just had orthodontic treatment which included braces on my upper and lower teeth. The braces are removed and I now wear holly retainers. One of my hopes was to mask an upper occlusal cant. The orthodontist did the best he could, but the cant remains conspicuous and makes my smile look very asymmetrical. I was interested in getting porcelain veneers anyway due to my teeth being worn down, and I was curious if veneers can be applied to mask an occlusal cant. Is this possible? Thanks!

PorcelainVeneers Can Correct Canting

+1

We correct canting with porcelain veneers everyday.  This is usually accomplished with a combination of  laser gum recontouring and the fabrication of the new veneers.  The teeth will need to be altered with a handpiece to do this, therefore the non-prep Lumineers would not be an option for your case.  

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers can correct an occlusal cant

+1

Veneers are an option to correct an occlusal cant.  With veneers, the teeth can be made to look upright with an improved midline.  Also, the occlusion should be evaluated and other treatment options should be given.  These options may include orthodontics or posterior teeth restorative with the veneers.

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Yes they are

+1

Yes, veneers are actually a good way to correct a dental cant, as long as there is little to no skeletal cant.

Columbus Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers can correct slanted smile

+1

If your teeth are going up hill then the veneer can correct that without much effort. Its sad the ortho didnt pull them into position but at least you are a good starting place..

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Smile makeover, correcting crooked teeth with porcelain veneers

+1

The first thing I would question is if you have any TMJ problems? Canting can a result of TMJ issues and possibly rotation of C1 and C2 in the neck.  This can cause assymetry of the face and smile. If this is not the case, I agree with Dr. Timmerman who just answered this question.  I would like to add that if you have a high smileline and you correct the cant, you will need to be careful with the canted side looking too long.  Many times some artistic reshaping of the veneers can help create a natural affect.  Finally, if you do elect to do veneers, make sure that everything is worked out with the temporaries.  This is an excellent way to preview if everything is correct and looks right.

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers are the best answer.

+1

Although under optimal conditions it isalways good to correct any tooth malposition with orthodontics and today Invisalign makes that easy, but many times the final cosmetic/ esthetic result requires more and Veneers are an excellen way to correct canting of the teeth as well as improve tooth proportion, shape, spaces, etc.

Wilton Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain veneers commonly fix canted smiles

+1

A common goal when improving a smile is the cant.  Despite our best efforts with orthodontics, it can be a challenge.  Porcelain veneers allow the dentist to create symmetry and balance, yet not all dentists know how.

Be sure to ask for photos of canted smile improvements, as experience DOES count in this case.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

How to straighten a smile with porcelain

+1

The severity of the cant is really the big question and what teeth do you show when you smile? In order to correct the problem a wax up is needed to see what the ceramist can accomplish and what type of tooth modification is needed. The dentist should have you stand upright against a wall and use an articulator facebow to get your true horizontal tooth position set. I like to use the pupils as my guide for setting the occlusal place and taking photos of the facebow to send to the ceramist. With the facebow and waxup you will have sufficient info to know what results you can expect. It is also important to note any facial irregularities such as muscle pull, uneven eyes and ears, etc... to see what you want to use as your reference point

Wichita Cosmetic Dentist

Yes, veneers can help

+1

Veneers can completely solve you sloping teeth (canting teeth) problem.  With my patients, orthodontic treatment is the best first phase of esthetic treatment - and that gets the main occlusal issues (bite) solved.  But often, the esthetic results are not optimum, so I follow the orthodontics with beautiful porcelain (conservative) veneers to finish the case and get the WOW result most patients want.

You will love your smile after veneers!

Plano Cosmetic Dentist

Fixing a Cant with Veneers

+1

Porcelain veneers can fix a cant, and in fact if done poorly can introduce a cant.  The preparation will usually need to go in between the teeth.  It is difficult to correct a cant with no prep veneers or Lumineers.

Houston Cosmetic Dentist