Are Porcelain Veneers or Bonding a Better Option for Peg Teeth?

I have two peg teeth on either side of my two top middle teeth, which are also twisted slightly. I am looking into getting porcelain veneers or bonding done and I am leaning towards bonding as it is reversible and doesn't require shaving or drilling my teeth down.

However, I was wondering if this technique is possible with peg teeth and how hard it is to look after bonded teeth so they don't fall out, stain or break.

Porcelain is better than Plastic (bonding)

+2

Hi Allie86!

For peg laterals I always recommend porcelain veneers over bonding.  They always look better and last longer.

Best!

Dr. Alper

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Get veneers

+1

Veneers are better.

They will stay good looking for many years and

since your teeth are "peg" very little or no "grinding" will be necessary.

Dr.K.

George Koutsoukos, DDS
Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding versus Porcelain Veneers

+1

Both bonding and porcelain veneers can result in beautiful results when done properly.  Porcelain will last longer and is more stain resistant but many times requires some trimming on the tooth to place it properly and it is significantly more expensive.  Bonding can be done in situations where cost is a factor and it requires no removal of tooth structure in most cases and with modern composites, it can look beautiful and last many years before it discolors ( You can always move to the veneer later also).  Your dentist can advise you best on the situations in your mouth that may affect your choice.

Scott LeSueur, DDS
Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers for Peg Laterals

+1

There is no question that porcelain veneers are a better option for peg laterals than dental bonding.  Porcelain veneers are lab fabricated and give us much more freedom to create the correct anatomy and contours needed to close the spaces and make them look natural. In addition, dental bonding does not have as strong of a bond strength to the tooth as will the porcelain veneer.  I would choose the veneer over bonding for superior aesthetics, strength, and durability.  Hope this helps.

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Are Porcelain Veneers-or Bonding Better for Peg Lateral Teeth?

+1

Which is better, porcelain veneers or bonding for peg lateral teeth? 

For the most beautiful results I prefer the porcelain veneers. In fact I often have patients come in after they have had them bonded somewhere else. These patients never really liked the color match or the overall look with the bonding.

Bonding CAN be a great solution in some cases. In your case, with the peg lateral teeth turned or rotated makes it more difficult to get a great result because in some places the bonding is very thick, and in other places the bonding is very thin. That makes controlling the evenness of the color difficult. With porcelain veneers, there is MUCH more control of the color and even with varying thicknesses, you will get a great result.

I would have to say that's it's a misconception produced from some of the TV marketing that's out there that cosmetic dentistry is reversible. I would say that the point is to do it right, make it look amazing, then do it in a precise manner that will give a great result for a loooong time. If that all is designed well by the cosmetic dentist, then there is no reason to reverse it.

Thanks for your question, Dr. Scott Greenhalgh, DDS.

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain better option for peg laterals

+1

The porcelains we are using today are so strong that they can be super thin yet as strong as your enamel (the outer layer of your natural tooth).  That means in many cases we don't have to prepare teeth that are undersized, like we used to do in the past.  Porcelain is stronger, smoother and more color stable than bonding.  It is more expensive but it will last you much longer so in the long run, is a much better investment if you can choose that.

Gerilyn Alfe, DMD
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers vs Bonding

+1

Both will do the job, but a veneer or crown will have a better long term esthetic result as porcelain is very stain resistant as opposed to composite resin.

David Cheng, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers work beautifully on pegged teeth

+1

Recently we did porcelain veneers on a patient who had perfectly beautiful upper front teeth and pegged laterals. The veneers look beautiful, natural and closed the spaces between her front teeth and the laterals. Her smile is drop dead gorgeous! No reduction was required and the veneers, unlike bonding, are durable and much more stain resistant! I would definitely recommend veneers over bonding.

Robert Fields, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

It's like comparing apples and oranges

+1

First of all Bonding is not reversible if it is attached properly to your enamel. Secondly, Bonding for cosmetic reasons is old technology! Porcelain veneers are far superior and will give you the strongest and most aesthetic result! In most cases involving peg laterals the reduction is minimal.

Joseph W. Worthington, DDS
Fairfield Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain veneers ROCK!

+1

The bonding is sooo 1980's for the front teeth. Veneers are stronger and don't change color. If your teeth are already small then there isn't alot of teeth reduction to do anyway. As far as reversing the veneer process,lets not forget that the reason for doing veneers is to cover the teeth we dont like anyway,so who would want to have peg laterals back...Veneers are more costly but you will be happier in the long run.

Dr Thomas

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist