Can Porcelain Veneers Be Taken off and Replaced with Bonding?

I made a huge mistake getting veneers for my front two teeth. It was purely cosmetic as my teeth were absolutely healthy, I regret it everyday. I was wondering if I could have the veneers removed and replaced with Bonding.

You can, but why would you?

+2

You can, but why would you? What you are asking is changing from a more superior material to a weaker material. It’s the opposite of what we would recommend. Porcelain veneers are stronger, more realistic, and maintain their shape, color and sheen better. Bonding is more prone to chipping, dulling and wear. It sounds to me that you don’t like the way your veneers look. This is not a materials problem but an aesthetics one. You don’t say what you don’t like about them. The color? The shape? Are they painful? Do they just look fake? Changing from porcelain to bonding will not change any of this. You should stick with porcelain veneers, but have them changed, taking into account what you don’t like about the ones you have now. Before picture with your complaints should be taken and sent to the lab before anything new is made.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Can you replace Poreclain Veneers with Bonding?

+1

The answer to your question is YES you can replace the veneers with bonding. You obviously are unhappy with the way your veneers look and yes they can be taken off and you can bond the teeth.  The veneers have the color and look more like your real teeth. Bonding can look great but does not last as long and the color and light is not there, but you can do this if you want. I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with the veneers and maybe you should try to work the dentist and see if he can work with you and arrive at veneers that you like!

Robert Fields, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Removing Porcelain Veneers Is Possible

+1

Porcelain veneers can be removed, but the question is why would you like to have bonding placed?  This would not be an aesthetic or functionally sound option in my opinion.  If you are not currently happy with your smile consider seeing an experienced cosmetic dentist and ask them what can be done.  Most likely, a new set of procelain veneers would be the treatment of choice to give a gorgeous update to your smile.  Good luck.   

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers CAN be removed

+1

The question is why?  It is highly unlikely that bonding will be an upgrade from the porcelain veneers, and the removal of them will depend on how much was done to the teeth in placing the veneers in the first place.

If you don't like the look, perhaps find another dentist to see what they suggest.  You would likely be happier with a simple swap, remove THESE porcelain veneers and replace them with another set of porcelain veneers.  Bonding will not be as pretty or as strong.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

+1

There are some misconceptions about taking dental work off (like veneers or old bonding). In general any dental work can be removed, however it's not as if the teeth go back to as they were before.

In general I would say bonding will not give you a better result than veneers. It sounds as if you do not like your veneers. Unfortunately, there really is no going back.

However, you can still get an amazing result. At this point the solution lies more in finding a great cosmetic dentist- in your case one who typically fixes other cosmetic problems. At this point my best recommendation is to have your veneers redone by someone with more skill and artistry.

There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to love your front teeth!

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Replacing Porcelain Veneers with Bonding

+1

The first thing you should do is find a truly experienced and well-trained cosmetic dentist. Be sure to discuss your expectations and desires thoroughly in advance. Remember, an excellent cosmetic result takes time and experience and requires the use of an expensive dental laboratory. If you're shopping for price, you will not find quality.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

You can change the veneers

+1

I do not recommend to change it for a bonding. Why you do not like them? In case of veneers, most of the times it does not matter is your teeth were healthy or not, you can do veneers for aesthetic reasons only. if you do not like them you can have new ones, but I do not think a bonding will be a good idea. That is my opinion.

German Arzate, DDS, MS
Mexico Cosmetic Dentist

Not satisfied with porcelain veneers

+1

It's very unfortunate, usually this is not the case.  To answer your question directly, you can have the veneers removed and replaced with bonding, however the teeth will not look like they did before, nor will they look as good as well-done porcelain veneers.  Is there something in particular you dislike about the veneers?  Before you do anything, consult with another dentist with experience in esthetics to be sure of the best option.  Hard to recommend anything more without photos.

Carlo Biasucci, DDS
Ontario Cosmetic Dentist