Porcelain Veneer Dentin Bonding - Is This as Strong as Enamel?

My central front tooth has been chipped on the bottom half over 2 years ago. I have been using bonding, but my dentist is going to put on a veneer. She told me that the majority of the veneer will be bonded to dentin. Is this bond as strong as enamel, and can i expect a veneer bonded to dentin to last 10-15 years or more? What happens if the tooth turns dark, will it show through the veneer or will I need a crown?

Dental Bonding vs Porcelain Veneers

+2

There are excellent indications for both Dental bonding and for porcelain veneers.  Generally speaking bonding is used for smaller sized restorations and porcelain veneers for larger restorations or breaks.  However, age can also play a role in the choice, as childrens teeth have a larger nerve and will also change over time.

With the advent of newer types of porcelain that allow us to create veneers at .3mm thickness, we are now able to do minimal prep veneers and non-prep veneers with materials such as Emax and still be able to to shade and make them look natural.  When doing single veneers custom shading in the mouth is often utilized to get that "perfect" artistic look that blends in with the natural teeth.

As for your question about bonding strength, dentin bonding strength is weaker than the bond to enamel. Is your tooth broken off so badly that there is no enamel? If not then a minimal prep veneer may allow you to retain some enamel for increased strength.

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneer Dentin Bonding Strength

+1

I would need to see a picture of the tooth prior to the procedure.  Depending on the amount of enamel and the strength of the existing tooth the porcelain may need to wrap around the tooth to ensure proper retention.  The tooth should never change color unless the nerve dies and a root canal is needed.

Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer Bonded to Dentin

+1

Great questions queried by Cosmetic Dentists often.  A better bond can be achieved to enamel, so best to leave a layer of enamel. A fractured tooth could certainly discolor, so that is a risk, but not a reason to remove more tooth structure for a crown.  All factors working in your favor, 15 years is a very reasonable expectation - probably longer.

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Chipped front tooth and bonding to dentin or enamel

+1

I would always go with the most conservative approach and save as much of the tooth as i can. I think it the chip is small enough, i would use minimal prep veneers.  Most of it would be bonded to the enamel which is stronger than dentin, and you save most of the tooth structure.  I am not fond of taking down a tooth that i do not have to, only to achieve an aesthetic purpose which could have been achieved with a less invasive procedure.

My advice to you would be ask your dentist to show you pictures of minimal prep veneer cases that he has done so you can see how good they look.  If you are not happy with what you see, i suggest you look for another dentist who is proficient in both procedures and ask to see pictures that he has taken of his patients.....he should always have a smile gallery that you can look at.  Hope this helps!

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers-How strong is the bond?

+1

A competent cosmetic dentist can bond your veneer well in most situations. Personally, I think too many veneers come out looking too thick because the dentist actually didn't prepare the tooth enough. It is always a fine line between how conservative to be, and any trade-offs in the final aesthetic result.

In my opinion, a larger factor on how long the bond lasts relates to how well you clean it and how well the forces that chipped the tooth to begin with are controlled. Often times this means precise matching of the bite-especially the sliding motions. In addition, you may need a nightguard for extra protection. 

In my opinion, I wouldn't worry about the dentin vs enamel bonding.

Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain veneer bond strength

+1

If the chip is small, you may be a candidate for a non or minimal preparation veneer which will have the majority of the preparation in the outer enamel.  This bond is the strongest one we have in dentistry although dentin bond strength is better than it's ever been.  Longeviity of any dental work depends on the size of the restoration, your bite, your oral health and home care, how often you have your teeth professionally cleaned, whether you clench or grind your teeth at night, etc.  10 years or so is not unrealistic for longevity if it is done well and you are careful and follow your dentist's recommendations.  If your dentist doesn't do no-prep or minimally prepared veneers and has had training in either DURAthin porcelain veneers or Lumineers, you may want to go for a second opinion to one who does. 

Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding porcelain to dentin is common and strong

+1

If given a choice, bonding to enamel is ideal, the bond IS stronger than to dentin.  However, if the enamel is already missing, there isn't much choice.  The bond to dentin is strong enough to be confident that things will stay put.  Last 10-15 years?  Maybe.  Many crowns don't last that long, so don't think that a crown is a better option based on statistics.

If given a choice between a crown or a veneer, most dentists would opt for the veneer.  Well made veneers should last as long or longer than a crown.  Your dentist is giving good advice.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/html/veneers-seattle.html

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist