Do All Porcelain Crowns Stain?

I recently had my front teeth crowned and the dentist had to do some recontouring in order for them to fit properly. Most of this was done on the backs of the crowns, but some on the sides for easier flossing I assume. Are these areas more likely to stain since some of the porcelain surface has been removed?

Do Porcelain Crowns Stain?

+4

Porcelain is a great material for cosmetic dentistry. Even when adjusted it is still essentially stain resistant. If the sides are rough enough to catch floss, then your dental crown or veneer may still need some more polishing.

I wouldn't worry about it-enjoy your new smile!

Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain shouldn't stain

+4

Porcelain is a very color stable material. If it was polished properly after contouring, the crowns should not gather any stain, and less plaque than enamel. Even smoking seems not to affect staining around porcelain, although I have seen a little bit that comes off with polishing. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Crowns Rarely Stain

+3

Porcelain is an excellent material for restorative dentisty.  Some slight contouring may be necessary to ensure proper marginal fit but as long as the porcelain was polished after cementation, you shouldnt have to worry about staining.  Enjoy your beautiful crown!

Orange Cosmetic Dentist

Crown stainig

+3

You should not have any staining if the dentist polishes  the crown really well.

Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist

Stain on Porcelain Crowns

+3

After contouring your porcelain crowns and high luster is easily re-established by use of rubber wheels and polishing paste. Staining should not be an issue.

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain contouring is common

+3

While the surface has been altered, it is still porcelain.  If the porcelain was gone, you would see a metal core or the tooth structure itself.  The dentist would have had to remove a LOT of porcelain to do this (about a full mm on the sides, up to 2 mm on the back).

After contouring, most dentists will polish the surface, and staining will be minimal, if at all.  I have not witnessed staining as you fear, but "never say never."

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/html/veneers-seattle.html

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain does not stain

+2

Before cementation of the crown, adjustments are made by the dentist to achieve the right bite and contact areas.  These areas are then polished back to a smooth and shiny surface.  This will not make the porcelain more likely to stain.  In fact, porcelain crowns and veneers do not stain.   Simply maintain good oral hygiene and get your regular cleanings.   Best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian.

Corona Cosmetic Dentist

Crowns dont stain..

+2

Make sure that he polishes them back once he adjusts them. They will not stain tho because they are made of glass..

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Crown

+2

There should be not staing to a porcelain crown is done properly. If there is staining, the lab probably did not process the porcelain to the manufactures specs.

Brentwood Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain is stain resistant

+2

You should not be concern about stain on your porcelain crown because porcelain is stain resistant material and does not allow retention of the food  pigment.  Enjoy your crowns.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist