I Have Porcelain Crowns and I Smoke.They Have Become Stained.Is There Anything I Could Use To Correct This?

I've had porcelain crowns for 12 years.They have become stained due to the fact I smoke.Are there any solutions to cleaning them or will I have to have them remove?

Does porcelain stain?

+1

Porcelain does not hold stains. If yours are, they are either getting stained where the margin of the  porcelain is exposed, or the porcelain has been roughened , or the material is not  porcelain. Regular cleaning ( I have my patients on cleaning every 3 months) should take are of it, and get a touch up bleaching kit to clean up the crevices, and the marginal areas. 

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Stain on Porcelain Crowns

+1

Unless you had restorations done that looked like porcelain but were actually a composite material such as Artglass or Targis which actually do stain, all you need is your teeth cleaned and the porcelain polished.  Stains do not penetrate the surface of quality porcelain restorations.

Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist

+1

Porcelain is very stain resistant.  Typically any stain on porcelain is only on the surface and can be easily removed by your dentist or hygienist.  This would be similar to the coffee ring that you can get inside your coffee cup.  A little soap and water, and it comes right off!

If, for some reason, the surface has been roughened, then you will pick up stains more rapidly.  In this case, your dentist may need to use a special porcelain polishing system to smoooth the surface.

Hope this helps...Dr Champagne

Freehold Cosmetic Dentist

Smoke Stain Crowns -Need a Dental Cleaning

+1

Porcelain does "age" over time.  But what you are talking about is likely caused by your smoking.  Do you see a Dentist regularly?  These stains are removable with a professional teeth cleaning.  It should be a regular part of your health care check-ups.  You will find your porcelain crowns will look better, longer, with professional teeth cleanings.  While you are at the Dental office, why not ask about ways your Dentist can help you stop smoking?  It will be good for your health and your teeth.  Good Luck!

Long Island Cosmetic Dentist

Stains on crowns from smoking

+1

Stains for smoking should be removed at your recare visit to the dentist every 3-6 months.  Your hygienist should be able to remove them during the cleaning process.  Call you dentist and make an appointment

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist