Porcelain Veneers for Chipped Tooth?

I chipped off the bottom 1/3 of my front tooth. My dentist is placing a porcelain veneer shaped like a 3/4 crown, which she said will be bonded to dentin, not enamel. How long should the veneer last as long as I dont bite into any hard foods and take good care of my teeth? Also, for the missing 1/3 of the tooth, will the veneer cover that or will the veneer be placed over bonding? Thank You

One third fracture needs a Veneer..!

+1

If only the bottom third is missing then a porcelain veneer is probably the best route to go. Remember that keeping your teeth all matching will be challenging. Be sure to whiten your teeth first,,wait a week,then go in for the veneer and shade match.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

A veneer is my preference

+1

From what you described, I would tend to favor the veneer for a couple of reasons. Primarily the conservation of tooth structure and the bond to the dentin. The 3/4 crown may be preferred if you have some spaces at the gums to close, or existing fillings between the teeth already. The fabrication of either one can differ however, if you go with a feldspathic veneer, they build the porcelain from a "palette" of various colors and translucencies, so you can replicate the colors of an adjacent tooth more easily.

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer for chipped tooth

+1

Restoring your chipped tooth with a veneer is not only the most esthetic but the most durable approach to repair. The bond can be partially in enamel and mostly in dentiin, which is not as strong but very adequate for most biting pressures. The key to dentin bonding is precise technique which I am sure your dentist is very well versed. Plan to smile and chew with high confidence.

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers for Chipped Tooth

+1

As long as you do not bite into any hard foods and take good care of your teeth, porcelain veneers will last you many years. It is hard to predict more precisely, because they are placed in a living body. We are all different, and we function differently.

I had a case, where I placed 6 veneers and fifteen years later patient came back with a broken veneer. When I asked how did it brake, Jana honestly told me she forgot she had veneers on, and accidently bit on the fork.

Regarding whether  the veneer will cover missing 1/3 of the tooth or will the veneer be placed over bonding, it can be done either way depending on the case.

Bottom line is porcelain veneers are the best choice to repair chipped teeth.

Hope this helps.

With your dental health in mind,

Michael Ayzin, DDS
Dentistry @ Its Finest™

Costa Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer or 3/4 crown for chipped tooth is great treatment advice

+1

It is very common to place a veneer or 3/4 crown to fix a chipped tooth.  While the bond to dentin is not as strong as the bond to enamel, you should not notice any difference in function or feel.  Live life like normal without any worries.  The longevity for this normally is many years, so this is not compromised treatment.  The biggest challenge will be getting the shade to be a perfect match.

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.