Popping Sounds and Sensation in the Belly After Tummy Tuck?

I'm 4 weeks post op from a full Tummy tuck with muscle repair and Liposuction to hips and flanks. For the last 2 weeks, I hear popping sounds and sometimes I feel popping sensations in my belly. Is this normal? If it's a suture, would I feel any pain or discomfort? Is this just part of healing?

Popping sounds after tummy tuck

+2

It may be that the dissolving sutures are breaking down. Otherwise, it is difficult to say what these popping sounds could be. If you are overly exerting yourself, it could also be that you are breaking down your muscle repair. Discuss your findings with your surgeon and find out how your muscle repair was performed

Popping sounds after Tummy Tuck

+1

Another explanation for these "popping sounds" is shifting fluid. It is very common for fluid to accumulate in areas of the abdomen after a tummy tuck, even if a drain was used (and removed). These pockets of fluid are called seromas and often resolve on their own. Large seromas frequently need drainage. As you move about and flex your abdominal muscles, you could very well be forcing this fluid around various small pockets, causing an audible sound. A simple exam by your surgeon can determine if fluid is likely present.

Brian M. Braithwaite, MD