One Popped Saline Implant, Will a PS Pop the Other Implant So I Can Go to Bootcamp?

My left implant popped and I recently finished breastfeeding so its too soon to get my plants removed or replaced.plus I want to go into the military but I cant until my implants are replaced. My recruiter said it would be ok if they were both popped by my doctor. Then I could get them remved after bootcamp sincei will lose so much weight. My questions how do I find a doctor who can pop it as I dont really trust my original suregon because he wants to charge 1800. To fix his work. 

Implant deflation

+1

This is a personal decision on your part, but if the implant is ruptured, you are better to either have it replaced or have both of them removed

Deflating the other implant may be a good solution for your situation

+1

Although these unique situations seldom come up, it is very easy and safe to intentionally deflate your other implant if you are currently quite asymmetrical. If you choose to do this then get it done by a PS that you feel comfortable with. This will ensure that the process is done in a sterile manner and you can be properly informed of your options.

With your implants deflated, the breast will be allowed to shrink allowing your tissues to return to your natural shape and size. This will facilitate planning of revisional surgery down the road. Rarely, the collapsed and folded  implant shell can cause mild discomfort with extreme exercise. A fee being charged is normal by any Plastic Surgeon who has spent time understanding your needs and choosing to help you. This procedure just takes a few moments in the office and the fees for this are very nominal.

As for the warranty on your implants, the device that spontaneously deflated should be eligible for warranty but the intact implant that has been deflated will not.

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

1 Popped Saline Implant, Will a PS Pop the Other Implant So I Can Go to Bootcamp?Answer:

+1

For a minute I thought you meant "Fitness Bootcamp" not the real deal! It is a very straightforward procedure, as described, to deflate your intact implant. And it is not your surgeons fault that it deflated. BUT I do think $1800 is a bit strong to charge a former patient. Personally, if you were my patient from the start, I would document the deflation, put a needle into the good side and drain it, not charge you, and see you when you are ready to exchange them. But every doctor is different…

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Implant replacement

+1

It is not clear why you need these replaced.  If saline ,  they can be deflated by a needle.  I usually have a modest fee for this.   they can then be replaced at any time  , they will not be covered by warranty.

Deflating implants

+1
I am curious that the militarty has a breast symmetry enlistment requirement. Any Plastic surgeon can deflate a saline filled implant. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has a website which can help you find local options in surgeons. Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Delaying removal of a saline breast implant

+1

Unlike a silicone gel implant, it seems little happens when there is a delay in replacement after leak, however if your implants are still under warranty, usually ten years, replacement is covered and should include the surgery fee. It is possible to puncture the intact implant, though without plans for replacement of the damaged device, a surgeon might find himself in a peculiar liability for what he has left behind. There is a surgeon in your area to help. Try the American Society of Plastic Surgery.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Can I pop my other implant?

+1

If you are not ready to have the intact implant removed now, yes, it is safe to deflate now and remove later.  The procedure is simple, and performed in the office.  Your breast is cleaned with surgical scrub, a sterile drape placed over the breast, a small wheal of local anesthetic infiltrated, and just like drawing your blood in a lab, the doctor gently and painlessly passes a needle into the implant and withdraws the saline into a syringe.  

Steve Laverson, MD

You can ask your plastic surgeon to deflate your implant

+1

You can have your implant deflated by your plastic surgeon .This can be under local anesthesia. You can have them replaced or just removed when you have time for surgery. Your implants have life time warranty and since your left implant deflated ,you can still apply for the warranty.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Implants and enlistment

+1
I had a patient with this issue and I'd recommend that, before doing anything, you ask the recruiter for a contact telephone number for the medical corps. My patient was required to have the implants removed prior to starting boot camp. This may depend on your planned job description in the military or branch of service. Implant deflation is still a surgical procedure and, as it is for your personal needs, the surgeon is entitled to charge for this services. When you have the implants removed, there would be another charge and the implant warranty would have no effect on any subsequent surgeries because the reason for removal is not malfunction of the implant.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Deflated Saline Implant

+1

Thank you for your question.  Before you do anything, I recommend that you see a board-certified plastic surgeon preferably your operative surgeon for a evaluation. I don't recommend you take medical advice from a military recruiter. If you do not want to see your original surgeon, find another board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Implant failure can eventually happen over time. This is typically a function of the manufacturer of the implant and not the skill of the surgeon. Surgeons typically charge to replace implants, deflated or intact.  If you have a warranty on your implants, you may be able to get $ from the warranty to put toward the cost of surgery.

Your spontaneously deflated implant may be covered under warranty if the warranty has not expired. It depends on how long ago you got your augmentation and the method the implants were placed.  For example, augmentation through the belly button (TUBA) voids the manufacturer's warranty.

If you wait too long to see a plastic surgeon, you may miss your opportunity to claim warranty on the failed implant.

As long as you are not about to lose your warranty, you have a little time to decide. If you see a plastic surgeon and he/she decides to intentionally puncture the other implant, the intentionally ruptured implant will not be covered under warranty.  When an implant warranty claim is filed, the implant shells are placed separately in bio bags and mailed back to the manufacturer.  The implant shell is examined closely (sometimes under magnification) to see if there are signs of intentionally tampering with the integrity of the implant shell. The company has ways of telling whether a rupture was from a worn out implant or if it was intentionally ruptured. I do not recommend trying to get warranty on an implant that was intentionally ruptured. This is fraud, and you and your surgeon (if he/she participates) could be prosecuted.

If you go the deflation route....once the other implant is deflated, the empty saline implant shell will be sitting in the implant pocket.  Usually this pocket will start to shrink over the course of 6 weeks to 3 months.  This is good if you want to have smaller implants.  This is bad if you want the same size implants or bigger, because then when you do decide to have surgery, the pocket will likely have to be made bigger by releasing the scar to get the implant to fit again...meaning you end up getting more surgery than you would have if you hadn't waited so long to have surgery.

This is only part of the conversation you need to have face-to-face with the plastic surgeon of your choice. I recommend you see a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area, sooner rather than later.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS