Poor Vision in Left Eye Dur To Amblyopia- Am I A Candidate For Eyelid Surgery?

i have poor vision in my left eye due to amblyopia. i would love to get an upper eye lid lift but am so fearful of losing vision in my good eye. does this rule me out an a candidate?

Risk is very low

+2

Amblyopia does not increase the risk of surgery. However, having only one good eye with vision does understandably increase you level of anxiety for having surgery. Luckily blepharoplasty is very safe. Although rare cases of vision loss have been described, this usually happens when fat is removed for the upper eyelid. This has become increasingly less common as preserving volume is now recognized as being very important in achieving a natural result.

Seeking the opinion of an ASOPRS trained oculoplastics surgeon would be ideal to put your mind at ease, as they are both Ophthalmologists and Eye plastic surgeons.

Best of luck

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

+2

Having an upper lid blepharoplasty is a fairly benign procedure but certainly not without risk. you should at least have an exam by your ophthalmologist.

Perfect questions for a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon.

+2

The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory of highly qualified oculoplastic surgeons on their website (asoprs dot org).  I recommend that you use this directory to find a ASOPRS surgeon in your area to see.  A through oculoplastic consultation will allow the surgeon to fully assess you and answer your questions based on that consultation.

Loss of vision after eyelid surgery

+2

It's extremely rare to have a permanent vision change or loss of vision after eyelid surgery though that risk does exist.  I think you should be fine.  My advice would be to see an Oculoplastic surgeon who has a great respect for the eye itself.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery risks

+2

In general, eyelid surgery is very safe and is commonly done in patients who are monocular.  The chances of you getting into a car accident on the way to surgery is more than having a major complication from eyelid surgery.  See an oculolplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Is amblyopia an absolute contraindication to eyelid surgery?

+2

Depends who you ask.  In my opinion, the answer would be absolutely not!  But you should be aware, and you apparently are aware, of the very small risk of decreased vision after eyelid surgery.  Perhaps some of my colleagues will weigh in with the most latest statistics, but I usually say it is between 1 in 10,000 and 1 in 100,000 of eyelid cases may result in problems to vision postoperatively.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Risk of Vision Loss After Eyelid Surgery

+1

I think what you really want to know is what is the risk of losing vision in your remaining seeing eye.  The risk of vision loss after eyelid surgery is remote.  You should be evaluated by an eyelid surgeon who is a member of  the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive surgery.  You can find one near you on their website, ASOPRS.org.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon