Poor Technique or Unresolved Edema? (photo)

I am a persian female concerned about my results after a Rhino which took place 10 weeks ago to correct asymmetrical nostrils and make the overall appearance thinner. I noticed that it is crooked, one nostril has a dent -where I feel thin skin - and also that my bridge still has a large amount of swelling (no taping or massaging was done). I feel that I may need a revision although it is still very early in the healing process. Should I consider kenalog? Will my nose evolve or do I need tweaking?

ONKLY 10 weeks post operative! Allow 6 months of healing before thinking you have an serious issue. Swelling can take 6 months or more to settle. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Too early to judge final result

There is some minor degree of asymmetry but you are still very early in the post operative healing process and it is just too early to judge a final result.  Give it a year to soften up and your symmetry issues will most likely resolve. 

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Post rhinoplasty

Your photos do show some asymmetry.  You are in the early post operative period.  A year should be given before any revision surgery.  Discuss you conerns with your surgeon.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

5673 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342-5029

I would wait longer than 10 weeks to consider any revision rhinoplasty work

Hello QueenLeo,

Thank you for the question and the photos.  I would definitely wait longer to decide on any revision rhinoplasty work as there is likely to still be an appreciable amount of swelling at 10 weeks.  Whether to use Kenalog or not will be a discussion between you and your plastic surgeon.  This can be useful in certain cases but it must be used carefully as more harm than good can be done at times.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

8900 E Raintree Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Poor Technique or Unresolved Edema?

Dear QueenLeo,

Thank you for your questions and photos.  It is very common to still have some edema this far out.  Continue to monitor and keep your head elevated at all times.   More vigorous activity can also increase swelling.  I would not inject steroids into your nose.  Give it more time and care. 

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

8900 Raintree
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Post rhinoplasty concerns

There is a tendency to compare sides while healing, but often, one side will heal faster or swell more than the other.  It is too early to look so closely.  Be patient and wait at least several more months.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon, he/she could best advise you.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

239 East Wakea Avenue
Kahului, HI 96732

Poor Technique or Unresolved Edema?

I do not typically inject steroids due to possible adverse effects.  The swelling resolves quickly in the closed rhinoplasties that I perform, but everyone heals differently. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Post op results

I think it's hard to tell from your photos but it is too early to draw conclusions. i suggest discussing your concerns with your surgeon and following instructions. it is too early to speak seriously about any need for revision. Hang in there.

Ronald Schuster, MD

10807 Falls Rd.
Baltimore, MD 21093