Poor Rhinoplasty Results - Scarring or Thick Skin? (photo)

The first 6 mos the results of my rhinoplasty were pretty good. The 2nd year my nose appeared to get longer and the tip more pronounced. It now looks nothing like my pre-surgery nose or the "new" nose in the first year. My surgeon says it's due to thick skin. I am a very fair skinned blonde. I don't think I have thick skin at all. And he never once mentioned thick skin in our consultation. How do you know if it's scarring, thick skin, or lack of support? My surgery was to correct a bulbous tip.

Poor Rhinoplasty Results - Scarring or Thick Skin?

+1

This is very difficult to assess from the single photo.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Tip issues

+1

Your nose actually looks very attractive on that photo you posted. I would recommend posting more pictures one lateral, one 3/4, one frontal view and include the rest of the face to evaluate the results of the surgery and correlate that to your concerns.

Unhappy with rhinoplasty

+1
  1. Rhinoplasty results can take years to settle down.
  2. I can't answer your question just with the photo.
  3. Review before/afters with your rhinoplasty surgeon. Consider a second opinion as well for ideas as to what is needed to achieve the look you want.
  4. Fifteen - 20% of rhinoplasties need some kind of touch up.

Scarring or Thick Skin?

+1

Without an exam, and pre op photos it is difficult to determine if you have scarring, or thick skin.  Thick skin people sometimes need a minor revision after a few months, but this can only be determined with an exam.  If a minor revision is needed, many times this is done in an office setting with little to no time off work for recovery.  Consult with your Plastic Surgeon for an exam, and to share your concerns.  Best wishes!

Thin or thick skin

+1

it is difficult to answer you question with the photo given.  it appears that your skin is of medium thickness.  the residual bulbous tip is more likely due to the structure underneath

+1

It is hard to tell without a pre op photo but your tip is still wide. It could go down more in the 2nd year. Thick skin can lead to a less then desirable result. Of course it is possible you have scarring or extra cartilage still present. 

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon