Do I Have Poor Chin Projection Because It is Too Long Vertically? (photo)

When I look at my x-ray it looks like I should have more chin projection than I do. Im thinking it might be because it is too long vertically. Is that possible? If so would a genioplasty fix that or would I need a lefort as well? Would a genioplasty help with lip incompetence?

Chin reduction

+2

Your chin does appear too long, but it is because of the way the ramus, or vertical portion of your jaw, has formed.  It appears that you may have a bit of an open bite on your x-ray.  If so, a Lefort osteotomy and genioplasty would probably be needed to correct the problem.  

And yes, they would help with lip incompetence.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Hall

Sliding Genioplasty For the Horizontally Short Vertically Long Chin

+2

Many weak or short chins appear to be too vertically long because of the backward rotation of the jaw due to short ramus. Yours certainly appears that way and for that reason a chin osteotomy would be preferred over an implant for your chin augmentation.  In addition,  a chin osteotomy (sliding genioplasty) will definitely help lower lip incompetence

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Genioplasty or chin implant

+1

While it is important to look at the bony structure, it is impossible to make any judgement calls regarding genioplasty or chin augmentation with just the x-ray.  Physical pictures of the chin area also need to be examined before many any surgical decisions.