Does Polysporin Work Acne Scars?

last year i got a cut on my forehead and it left a deep scar, then my doctor told me to use polysporin and i used it and the scar disappeared after a month. so i was wondering since polysporin has vitamin e and it heals scars should i use it for my acne scars??

Hello

+1

In our practice the lasers we do is Dot Laser, Profractional C02 laser, micro laser peel and or VI peel for very mild acne scarring. If you go to our website you can read about each procedure and you can kind of determine what would benefit you the best. You have quite a few options for acne scars depending on how deep they are.

Polysporin is NOT for Acne Scars

+1

No, polysporin would be effective for treatment of acne scars. In fact, you may give yourself an allergic reaction. I suggest evaluation by a physician familiar with the treatment of acne scars. Once the type and the severity of acne scars had been determined, a course of action can be taken. 

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Polysporin and help with Acne Scars

+1

The Polysporin worked because the cut on your forehead was new. Acnes scars that have been there for a long time will not be improved by polysporin in any appreciable degree. You would need some other procedures and a doctor skilled in Acne scars can take you from the least invasive to the most invasive treatment to help find a resolution to your scars.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Avoid Polysporin!

+1

Absolutely not. If anything, with Polysporin, you risk an allergic reaction. Polysporin contains Bacitracin. There was a reason that  Bacitracin was voted Allergen of the Year in 2003. This is a rather dubious honor bestowed by the American Contact Dermatitis Society each year for chemicals that they deem a major source of allergic reactions. 

Biafine emulsion would be a better topical to use. That or the less expensive, but tried and true, Eucerin Aquaphor Healing ointment.

However, once a scar has developed there are a number of effective options such as CO2 laser, Fractionated laser, fillers, subcision, La'viv and surgical repair.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Polysporin Will Not Improve Acne Scars

+1

Polysporin is an antibiotic ointment and while very hydrating and healing for cuts, sores, scrapes and wounds, it it unlikely that it will improve acne scars.  If you are interested in treating acne scars, I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist experienced in treating acne and acne scars. Click on the link below for before and after photos of patients with acne scars treated with filler and resurfacing. Good luck!

Channing R. Barnett, MD