Polly beak deformity? (photo)

could someone please tell me if this is what im experiencing... its been almost 5 months since my surgery and the tip is slowly starting to soften. its still pretty hard though, only the nostrils are completely soft now. i tend to like my nose when i dont smile, but when i do, you can definitely see the bulbous tip stick out. i know its not done healing but can someone tell me an estimate? this swollen bulb has been here since day 1, ive received a mild shot to help it go down a month ago.

Rhinoplasty recovery

+1

I don't see any evidence of a polybeak. Hang in there. You have thick skin, and the swelling can take some time to resolve, sometimes up to 18 months or so in patient's with very thick skin. Kenalog injections can help it along. Best of luck.

Polly beak deformity? #Rhinoplasty #polly beak

+1

Thank you for your question. Some of the thoughts that come to mind include that while it's been 5 months after your rhinoplasty, your skin thickness will have major influence on how quickly your swelling will resolve. The swelling will take the longest to go away at the tip of your nose. After looking at your photos, it is too early to know if you have a Polly Beak deformity. It doesn't appear that you do at this time. For those of you who are wondering what this is, it is difficult to describe. Typically it is due to under resection of the cartilage above the tip of the nose and not enough projection of the tip. This imbalance between the two entities produces the Polly Beak.

I would think that you have relatively thick skin and this may delay your gratification with your nose. Hang in there!! If you have questions, please refer to your Plastic Surgeon for your concerns.

Joel B. Beck, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Noses take one year for all the swelling to go down after rhinoplasty.

+1

It does not appear that you have a polybeak deformity. But you have i swelling of the entire tip will take up to a year or more for the last bit of swelling to go down. In the meantime do nothing.

Polly beak deformity?

+1

The tip may still be swollen.

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Appropriate tip-supratip break

+1

It does not appear you have a pollybeak deformity. A pollybeak deformity occurs when the area above the tip (the supratip) projects more than the tip instead of the other way around. This gives the nose a shape on profile that resembles a polly beak (parrot's beak). At 5 months after surgery it is normal to have some swelling around your tip, and this will slowly resolve over the next year.

Donald B. Yoo, MD