Possible Pollybeak? (photo)

I had rhinoplasty 15 years ago and have always been unhappy with the results and now I have done some research and think I may have a Pollybeak?

Revisional Rhinoplasty For Residual Tip Deformity

+1

Regardless of what your original nose looked like, your tip now is disproportionate and ill-shaped to the upper half of your nose. It is overprojected with supratip fulness. It could certainly be improved by a revisional rhinoplasty. It appears that if the whole tip was reshaped, your nose would be in better balance and more pleasing to you.

Fixing pollybeak

+1

Your first photo does seem to show some fullness to your supra-tip area. This can be addressed with revision rhinoplasty surgery. If there are other areas you're unhappy with that should be able to be addressed at the same time.

You can check out my link below to learn more about pollybeak deformity and its treatment.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Possible Pollybeak

+1

If you are not happy with your rhinoplasty result, consult with an experienced revision specialist regardless of what the abnormality is called. The fullness above your tip can be reduced and/or your tip can be rotated to decrease the length of your long nose. I'm sorry you have waited almost 15 years to seek improvement. 

Possible Pollybeak?

+1

Yes I agree that it appears as a "polly beak" deformity. But best to seek ONLY in person evaluations from boarded surgeons in your city. 

Polybeak

+1

From the photos you sent, your nose is missing a supratip break that would correct the polybeak deformity.  Trimming the lower lateral cartilages will correct this.  In addition, there may be a graft on your tip that may be contributing to excessive tip projection.  This can all be corrected by an open rhinoplasty.

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty nose surgery

+1

Dear bonbon35,

• A pollybeak usually happens when there is too much fullness near the bottom of the nose
  • It looks like you may have that issue
  • Either way, you would be a candidate for a revision rhinoplasty if you are unhappy

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Do I Have A Pollybeak Deformity Of My Nose Post Rhinoplasty?

+1

You do in fact have a Pollybeak deformity of your nose.  The Pollybeak deformity is defined as anywhere on the bridge being higher than the tip of the nose.  There should be a supertip depression where, unfortunately, you have a supertip elevation. 

I am going to make some assumptions here.  I assume that your surgeon of 15 years ago did an excellent surgery, but unfortunately, tip work cuts ligaments which over time allow the tip of the nose to go down when it probably was up 15 years ago.  The angle your nose makes with your lip is 90 degrees, and for the first 2/3 of the bottom part of your nose, that is a great angle, but the 1/3 farthest away from the lip should have a greater upward tilt. 

Therefore, if you were my patient, I would recommend a tip graft with cartilage harvested either from the ear or the septum of the nose.  This would elevate your tip above the bridge, correct the Pollybeak deformity, give you a supertip depression, and angle the distal 1/3 of the bottom of your nose upward, all in one maneuver.

Obviously, your Pollybeak deformity needs to be treated by a Board Certified plastic surgeon with a great deal of rhinoplasty experience. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Pollybeak and over projected nose.

+1

A revision rhinoplasty would refine your tip and remove the pollybeak and decrease the projection. Choose an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.