2 months post-op and I have a lump that resolves when pressed down but expands again. Is this a polly beak deformity? (photo)

I am just over eight weeks/two months post op.When the cast first came off it looked fine but now that a lot of the swelling has gone down a hump has become more obvious above my tip. Is it pollybeak?My tip isn't drooping, it's just a lump above the tip. I'm so worried that it's permanent.I know I need to be patient but I'm dying to know what it is and if it will go away. Seems to be better when pushed down, then expand like a sponge. I had a closed rhino to remove hump and straighten the bone.

Pollybeak deformity after rhinoplasty

+2

Thanks for the question and photo regarding your rhinoplasty result. You do not have a pollybeak deformity based on this photo. Pollybeak deformity refers to fullness immediately above the tip of the nose, causing it to the rounded look of the parrot's beak from the side. In the first few weeks to months after rhinoplasty, this can occur due to swelling in this area, called the supratip. Steroid (Kenalog) injections and taping the nose may help. If the issue persists beyond the initial period of swelling of the nose, it could be due to excessive cartilage, either the septum or the tip cartilages (lower lateral cartilages). Scar tissue could also be a possibility. 

In your case the bump appears to be a little higher along the bridge, but as the other physicians mentioned in this forum, it's very early to judge the result. You should certainly address your concerns with your surgeon, to see if any of the aforementioned interventions would be appropriate. The appearance of the nose will continue to change for 12 months or longer after surgery.

Best regards!

Dr. Mehta

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

You do not have a polly beak deformity

+2

Based on your photo, you do not have a polly beak deformity. 8 weeks postop is still relatively early after your rhinoplasty and you will continue to experience additional resolution of your nasal swelling. Generally, major swelling will resolve rather quickly in the first 1-3 months. Then, your nose will continue to go through subtle improvements over the next 3-12 months. Be patient. You have a nice early result. And, you should continue to see better results as time goes on. Thank you for sharing your photo and question. Best wishes!

Gregory Park, MD

Resolution of edema after rhinoplasty

+2

It's not a pollybeak because a pollybeak results from scar tissue or excess cartilage in the supratip (area directly above the tip).  Your hump is a little bit above the supratip.  It may be edema (swelling), or it may be residual hump.  Your surgeon may suggest some things to reduce the hump such as injecting kenalog or 5-FU or taping it.  If it is swelling it should resolve with these measures.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Polybeak Deformity

+1

It does not appear that you have polybeak deformity, but instead mild swelling around the tip of the nose. This may go down in a month or two, if not contact your surgeon as he/she maybe best able to tell you what this could be.

Carlo Honrado, MD

???pollybeak

+1

The subtle convexity you have is not a pollybeak but, as stated by other, either swelling, residual "hump" or some fine debris left from surgery. Cortisone injection, pressure and patience is the key. Not hasty surgical intervention !

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nice Nose Job, No Polybeak

+1

Hi  Idol,

No you do not have a polybeak nasal deformity, you have a very nice rhinoplasty result at 8 weeks.  Your nose and profile should continue to improve.  Enjoy your new nose.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Polly beak deformity

+1

Based on the information in your question, it is too early after surgery to know if the bump you are worried about is permanent.  I would not classify it as a polly beak deformity.  If it is swelling of the skin and soft tissue above the cartilage of your dorsum, then patience, taping or low-dose steroid injections can be used to help.  The best thing to do is to discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon to examine the issue and make further recommendations.

Michael Lipan, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty results take 1 year to see the final look.

+1

Rhinoplasty results take 1 year to see the final look. You do not have a polybeak deformity and so far your nose looks fine.

Not a polly beak

+1

Fullness above the tip after rhinoplasty can have several causes, most of them are related to the technique used. Your photos do not show such problems and you will do fine if left alone to heal properly.

Do I Have Pollybeak Deformity?

+1

If the area responds to pressure, this is likely residual swelling.  At 8 weeks, it is too early to make any decisions.  The residual hump is not a pollybeak, but this is merely classification.  Continue to follow with your surgeon.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA