Pollybeak Deformity 1 Month Post Op. Worth Redoing? (photo)

Dear Doctors, I had a huge hump and a major deviation in my septum. I had to do septoplasty sooner or later because of breathing problems. My surgeon is board certified and has experience of 35 years. One of the 1st board certified plastic surgeons. Anyways, you can see that my bridge is not straight after the rhinoseptoplasty. He told me that it will stay like that because I have thick skin (middle-eastern skin). Also, a surgeon with experience like this has no idea that this would happen?

Needs more time

Hello. At one month post op you are nowhere close to your final results and for a full year after your procedure your cosmetic appearance will continue to improve. Much of your worries can be attributed to swelling at this stage. Just try to be patient as these trouble areas will improve.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Worth Revising Polly Beak Deformity?

It is important to wait another 9-10 months but it will be worthwhile to revise a polly beak  deformity. You will need to increase tip projection in addition to adjusting the profile.

Pollybeak post rhinoplasty

Pollybeak deformity is caused by supra-tip swelling, thick skin,  a high cartilaginous dorsum, or tip retro-displacement (tip drop). Most likely it is still post op swelling. High concentration of Steroid injection into the swelling can be very useful. Ask your surgeon on the next appointment

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Results

Although 40 days postop is far too early to make final judgments, the photos appear to show a pollybeak deformity.  This may be related to soft tissue swelling, related to inadequate reduction of the dorsal septum, or both.  Revision surgery, if indicated, is generally not performed until about a year postoperatively.  Other temporizing measures, such as kenalog injections can be utilized if the pollybeak is determined to be related to soft tissue swelling. I would recommend discussing your concerns with your Surgeon.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pollybeak Deformity

Hi,

Even though its only 40 days after surgery, you do have a pollybeak deformity. Most likely this is from  underresected dorsal septal cartilage. So in essence what you have is a cartilagenous pollybeak deformity. Your tip is also ptotic and lack projection which contributes to the pollybeak. Even if you wait 10 years this will not improve. You will need a revision to correct this. See link below.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS