Do I Have a Pollybeak Deformation? (photo)

So far I've only had one closed rhinoplasty procedure about a year and a half ago. I'm satisfied with the left side of my nose but, I've noticed that on the right side of my nose, a lump has developed. It feels hard, could it be scar tissue? Could it still be swollen? Would I have to have a revision surgery and if not, what are other options because I'm afraid that tampering with my nose anymore would lead to irreversible damage.

Pollybeak Deformity

+1

There are usually two causes for pollybeak deformity under or overresection of certain parts of the nose.  The most common is to leave a little cartilage before the tip. This can usually be corrected through a closed approach in a few minutes, but discussion and exam with your plastic surgeon is prudent. 

Polybeak Deformity Following Rhinoplasty #nosejob

+1

We define a "Polybeak" as a person who has residual fullness in the supratip area as it seems that you do. It can be from residual cartilage left behind or from scar formation in this area. However, you could also just have a tip that is not supported in it's projected position causing the appearance of a Polybeak. This would require careful analysis by your surgeon and if it is indeed excess cartilage that is pretty straight forward to remove. If it is early scar then you can sometimes inject steroid. You need a physical exam to define which one of these is occurring.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Revision rhinoplasty can work.

+1

Hi.

This will need to be corrected.  It is not a typical pollybeak, but it is a lump which needs to be smoothed out.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

You appear to have excess cartilage at your lower bridge and an underprojected tip.

+1

I would have to classify your condition as a "polybeak", although I do not like this verbiage. This appears to have developed from lack of tip support and projection. You could consider an injectable filler procedure to soften the appearance by raising your bridge above the bump. Or you may require revision rhinoplasty surgery to remove the bump and add tip support and projection.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pollybeak Deformity Following Rhinoplasty

+1

It certainly looks like you have a pollybeak deformity. It could be from scar tissue formation and/or residual cartilage contour. Either way, it can usually be corrected with limited revision work. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pollybeak Deformity

+1

Hi,

Yes, I would say that you have a pretty obvious cartilagenous pollyneak deformity.This can be corrected by removing the more cephalic ( pollybeak) septal cartilage.This should be pretty straight forward. See link to learn more about pollybeak deformity.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Bump after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear GLKde982,

• Your treatment options all depend on what the bump feels like
  • I would go to your original surgeon with your concerns to see what he/she says

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Glkde982,

I see the "lump" you are referring to.  It is most likely either scar tissue or cartilage.  Without examining the area, I couldn't be certain.  Either one could be treated surgically.  If it is scar tissue, some surgeons might use steroids to reduce the scar mass but that has its own risks.

You should see your surgeon and have them address the "lump".  It is unlikely to be swelling 1.5 years post-op.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)