18 Months Post-op: Do I Have a Polly Beak?

Hi, I had Rhinoplasty 1 year 6 months ago now and from the start I have noticed that not enough cartilage has been taken away, causing a polly beak? Please can you confirm this is what has happen after my Rhinoplasty judging by my photo? Also my nose is still not straight and I am most disappointed. Any opinions would be most appreciated. Many thanks for your time.

Pollybeak after rhinoplasty

+1

It is hard to tell if a pollybeak has formed judging from your photos. I would recommend going to see a surgeon experienced in revision rhinoplasty. It does appear from your photos that there are some issues that could be addressed, but again, I would have to examine you to know for sure. Good luck.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

A "Polly Besk" deformity is an increase in subcutaneous tissue (scar) formation in the surpratip area that gives the end of the nose a hook-like appearance.  Your nose has a hook like issue but this could be the result of residual dorsal cartilage as well as some residual post Rhinoplasty scar formation.  An in-person consultation with an experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty would make the proper determinatiuon of cause and recommendations.  

Pollybeak

+1

I neec to see better lateral pictures. Be very careful. It is often tempting to just take down morer dorsum but, You must get good tip supporto or you risk repeating what you have. Straightening the septum will help but, you may need a graft to suppoert the septum

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Crooked nose and persistent hump post op

+1

Dear Shankara87

First of all, sorry to hear about your disappointment in your rhinoplasty results . Your photos are helpful, but make sure you meet face to face and discuss the potential revision.  

You can have very nice results from a revision.

• Certainly the profile view is the one that most people look at in pictures,
  • but face to face, the deviation of the upper and middle of the your nose is more obvious. 
  • The underlying nasal septum will need to be addressed to bring that to the center as well as to revise the dorsal hump.

Best Wishes to you.

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I have a polly beak?

+1

It's hard to put a label based on these photos. You do definitely appear to have deviation and excess dorsal prominence or possibly over resection of your bony bridge. You are going to need to seek consultation for revision surgery.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

Your concerns are valid and you have waited sufficient time for the swelling to resolve. I would not be so concerned with putting a label on the problem. Your posted photos show deviation of the cartilage portion of the bridge to the left (oblique or possibly C-shaped deviation of the septum), fullness of the supratip area just above the tip, a parantheses appearance to the dome of the tip and possibly a hanging columella. You will likely need surgery to change the septal cartilage shape and position and repositioning of the tip cartilage as well.

The first thing you need to do is get the before photos and operative report from your previous surgeon and bring those records with you when/if you see other surgeons in consultation. You say your nose is still not straight which may mean that you were crooked before this surgery so it is difficult to discern how much if any improvement you had from the previous surgery. It would probably be best if get opinions from a few surgeons before doing any additional surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Pollybeak deformity after rhinoplasty.

+1

Yes, you have a poly beak deformity, a deviated nose, lack of tip support without adequate projection, etc. See an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

Pollybeak Deformity

+1

Hi,

It appears that you may have a pollybeak deformity. A true lateral photo is really needed to determine that but the 3/4 does seem to look Pollybeakish. This would be from under-resected dorsal septal cartilage and possibly bone. it will require a revision.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Polly beak or supratip fullness

+1

You do not have a polly beak (as in Polly the parrot) as you have a general, under reduction of the bridge -- yes, a hump. This problem is relatively easy to correct with a revision, as well as the deviation on your photo. The name polly beak has given way to 'supratip fullness', the area just above the tip. Another older name is rams tip. Sorry about your dilemma.

peterejohnsonmd.com

18 most post rhinoplasty

+1

Thanks for some views of your nose. A true lateral woudl have been helpful, but just from the photos that you posted, it does not look like a true polly beak deformity. It looks like that you need more dorsal take down and possibly better tip refinement.