At What Point is It Ok for Me to Get a Body Lift, and Will It Affect my Continuing Weight Loss?

Should I reach my absolute goal weight before considering a body lift? 

Weright stability and body lift timing

+1

Great job!! I would wait for 6 months of weight stability before you have surgical procedures if possible. You will get your best results that way.. Unfortunately there is no effective non-surgical method.  However, a body lift can truly change your life. Excess abdominal fat  and skin is removed, the abdomen and your core is tightened, your hips are raised and defined and your buttock has new definition and shape.  The combination is powerful and the results are immediate. I would do the body lift first, then stage procedures every 4-6 months. Healing time is 2-4 weeks. The most important thing is safety. Please don't compromise on this! See a board certified plastic surgeon

Losing weight prior to surgery

+1

The ideal situation is for you to lose all of the weight and be stable in regards to weight prior to surgery - that will give you the best result.  If you have the surgery and then lose 20 more pounds, you may need to have another surgery because there may be additional loose skin to be removed.  I agree that usually patients who have had massive weight loss require more than 1 surgery so the revision can also be addressed at that time as well.

Make sure your surgeon has lots of experience with this type of surgery. Patients who have lost lots of weight have issues that others may not and the surgeon should know how to deal with their situation.

Best Wishes.

Correct timing of a bodylift.

+1

The standard criteria for being eligible for a body lift are: 1) If you have had gastric bypass surgery, you must be at least 18 months out from that surgery and; 2) You should be stable at your present weight for 6 months. With any body contouring procedure, like a body lift, the surgeons removes all excess tissue to get the best shape possible. As long as you maintain your weight the result will last forever. If your weight is not stable and you have major fluctuations in your weight after surgery, you can effect the end result.

M. Keith Hanna, MD

Body Countouring after Weight Loss - correct timing

+1

To answer this question one has to ask :

1) How did you loose you weight?

2) What was your beginning weight and end weight?  What is you goal weight?

If you had a gastric bypass or band - we usually wait for 18 months or until you have reached your goal weight and have been stable for a few months.  If it was through diet and exercise, when you have stopped loosing and are happy with your weight.

Your overall health, degree of excess skin and amount of residual remaining fat deposits will figure into the equation as well.

Richard Greco, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

How to Time Plastic Surgery After Weight Loss

+1

Removing excess skin after a substantial weight loss often involes more than one surgery to get the most out of the weight loss process.  It can be very helpful for a person considering the process to meet with their plastic surgeon to construct the plan that is best suited to their needs.  Often people take weight off in a different distributuion then they put it on.  For example a patient may become overly thin from the waist up but be unable to make much change in their lower body.  Anyone considering a body lift needs to be in good nutritional status so as to recover well from surgery.  If one is malnurished from dieting then complications are more likely to occur. It is also important to be in a good frame of mind at the time of the plastic surgery to have frustration tolerance for the post op period. However, it may be appropriate to do certain weightloss procedures before an idealized weight is acheived.  If the surgical procedure removes your most susceptible fat depot, you may not need to diet much further.  Discuss the best plan for you and prepare for this important undertaking.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Weight loss prior to body contouring

+1

I encourage all of my patients to wait until they have achieved a stable weight for a period of three months. Ideal body weight and goal weights are medical markers which are not realistic goals for some people.

You do not want to have a body contouring operation and lose another 20 to 30 lbs. Although you will always look better than if you hadn't had the surgery, you will lose some of the cosmetic benefits as the skin does not tighten after that amount of loss.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in contouring after weight loss to help plan your surgeries and discuss the appropriate timing.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Weight For Body Lift

+1

You did not mention your current weight nor your goal weight, but the closer that you are to your ideal body weight will usually translate into a better result with your body lift.  Patients whose BMIs are 25-30 will almost always have a better result than those whose BMIs are 30-35.  Having said that, some patients cannot achieve that degree of weight loss and, if your weight has been stable for six months or longer, you might want to proceed with your body lift now.  The surgery generally will not affect continued weight loss, although some people seem to get a "kick start" with their surgery and increase their weight loss post-op.

John Whitt, MD

Achieve desired stable weight prior to body contouring

+1

It is very important to achieve your desired weight prior to having cosmetic surgery.  I also feel that 3 months at your stable desired weight is a minimum.  You don't want to gain weight after removing tissue only to realize that more tissue needs to be removed.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Body lift

+1

Idealy you do the body lift after you have lost all the weight you want to loose and you are at your ideal body weight ( or near it) and you are weight stable . Then you are ready for surgery, which depend on how your body looks and what you want to achieve. Liposuction may and frequently done during the body lifts for those resistant areas. In severe skin laxity of different body parts you should divide the surgeries into several sessions. Prioritize your areas of concern, and work with your doctor.