60 Years Old - Too Old for Breast Implants?

I am 60 years old, look 50-ish, and want to know if it's too late to have implants. And, if a lift is recommended, what are those risks? Is There a Point when Your Age Becomes an Issue?

60yo - too old for breast implants?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Sixty year old requesting breast implant augmentation and lift.

+1

Sixty years old is not the limiting factor as long as you are in good health. I would discuss this with your primary care physician and ask for his/her recommendation for a plastic surgeon. Once you have scheduled a consult wiht the plastic surgeon, they wii decide and advise you as to the need for a lift 

Age is not a barrier to breast augmentation.

+1

The important determination for cosmetic surgery is your health, not so much your age. Breast augmentation has some challenges in the older breast - less skin tone, greater need for a lift, etc. Determine what your goals of surgery are and meet with a plastic surgeon you feel comfortable with. Communication between your primary physician and your plastic surgeon will determine your appropriateness for surgery.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast enlargement-what age

+1

There is no upper age for almost any cosmetic surgery. The main determinant would be your health. Why not look your best when you want to! You probably would need an uplift and which type would depend on how much sagging you have. THe main problem with these are the scars but they are good in the majority of cases. Watch my videos!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Age is not a problem .

+1

I have frequently done Breast Augmentation in patients that are your age and not had any more problems in this age group as any other age group. If your health is good it should be a consideration if you want to improve your appearance.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Age is not critical

+1

Breast augmentation is an easily tolerated procedure with short recovery period with minimal physical limitations. Usually done in about an hour in an outpatient setting, breast augmentation can boost self image and self confidence and certainly enhance a woman's appearance. The actual age is not as important as the health of the woman seeking breast augmentation. Someone 60 years of age who is otherwise healthy may be a better candidate than someone half that age who has multiple medical problems. If your healthy and this is something that would make you happy then there is no reason not to have it done.

A breast lift ads some time to the procedure but does not make the recovery longer or more difficult. Perhaps the biggest risk (although still very small < 10-15%) is loss of nipple sensation. Smokers may have an additional risk of poor wound healing but discontinuing smoking for two weeks before surgery and not resuming for at least two weeks after surgery decreases this risk.

Alexander G. Nein, MD

Age and Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Dear Terylee,

An adult who is healthy, has appropriate expectations for the given procedure and is a good candidate can usually have a cosmetic procedure.  Age is not a great factor if the other criteria has been met.  Every surgeon has his/her comfort level performing cosmetic procedures on  patients in their 7th or 8th decade of life.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast Augmentation

+1

Age is not  an issue, health is.  Have a full physical including a EKG and find a Certified Plastic surgeon that you fill conforatble with and enjoy  your results

Alejandro J. Quiroz, MD, FACS
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Age is physiologic not chronologic

+1

In south Florida is is not unusal for patients 60 and older to undergo breast augmentation and/ or implant exchange or mastopexy.  They are in good physical health and have always taken care of themselves.  The risks for you are the same as in any other patient.  I would stay on the smaller side of implant sizing and and have a recent mammogram.  I would also make sure you have a clearance from your medical doctor.  Good luck and hopefully you will enjoy your implants and new shape for many years to come.  Dr. Schuster in Boca

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants at 60

+1

I do not see a problem if youa re 60 and want breast implants.  The risks are the same as a younger person as longa s you are healthy.