5 Weeks Post Eyelid Surgery: Pocket of Fluid Under Eyebrow

This "golf ball" appeared about 3 days post-op, and has been there now almost 5 weeks. It just appeared out of nowhere, and has been sitting there, tender to the touch. It is just under the eyebrow, and visible (to me). It is not just "swelling", but it is a fluid pocket with a distinct perimeter.

It has shrunk down to about 1' long, but still painful to the touch. Doc seems dismissive of it, but it is DIFFERENT than tissue swelling. I almost want him to drain it. What could it be?

Swelling after belpharoplasty

+3

You may have developed a hematoma after three days, and I am concerned that there may be an infection. I suggest the area be aspirated with a needle to obtain a culture and possibly drain the fluid.

Swelling under eyebrow. Weeks after surgery.

+2

Dear WME: A golf ball sized swelling that suddenly appears 3 days after eyelid surgery is not expected. The majority of swelling after eyelid surgery is peaking at 48 hours and beginning to decrease by day three. A dramatic increase in pain and swelling is something I would have my patients come into the office for and get checked out.

The primary suspects are bleeding and infection. If you are 5 weeks out now, infection is not as likely; however a small hematoma (collection of blood) will expand over the course of a few weeks, If not drained, it may resolve, but it is often better to drain them early to speed resolution and reduce complications.

I would recommend explaining the situation again. If your doctor cannot explain satisfactorily the course of action they are choosing, consider getting a second opinion.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

So sorry to hear that you are having issues after eyelid surgery.

+2

Dear Worst

Tenderness this long out from surgery is absolutely not normal.  I would strongly encourage you to see you surgeon today to allow him to assess what is going on.  WIthout a personal consultation, we are just speculating what is going on but swelling and tenderness do suggest an injection.  Your surgeon may in fact decide to drain this area if simply to obtain material for culture.  Set backs are frustrating.  Please be proactive and see your surgeon.  Please trust me, your surgeon want the best for you and wants to hear from you.

Eyelid swelling after eyelid surgery 5 weeks ago.

+2

Eyelid swelling after eyelid surgery 5 weeks ago with distinct fluid type of borders sounds like an infection. especially with tenderness. Get another opinion.

Eyelid/brow swelling after eyelid surgery

+2
It is not impossible to have the type of swelling that you describe. Because it is tender, this most likely is from a deep bruise. I assume that you do not see a color change in your skin. However a bruise deep below the skin can cause this type of swelling. It should completely resolve over the next several weeks.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tender Swelling after Eyelid Surgery

+1

Swelling can certainly last for several weeks after eyelid surgery. However, it is not common to have a discrete lump that developed several days after surgery. This could be a hematoma (a blood clot), a seroma (a collection of fluid) a cyst or an infection. I would certainly urger you to discuss this further with your surgeon and have him or her explain to you exactly what is happening.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Pocket of fluid after Eyelid Surgery

+1

This seems highly unusual and you should have the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Blepharoplasty examine you and make recommendations.  You should not have a 1" long fluid filled pouch, of any kind, after a Blepharoplasty.  I am concerned that your Lacrimal gland is affected or you have a slowly resolving hematoma...both of which should be followed and treated to resolve ASAP.