What to Do About Pocket of Fluid 3 Days After Liposuction?

I had lipo upper/lower abdomin flanks & lower back. Iit has been 3 days I now have what I think is a poocket of fluid which is warm. I have been wearing the compression garment & the size of the pocket seems fairly small however discomforting.should I be alarmed or wilk this subside?

Pocket of fluid after liposuction

+1

If your pocket is warm and tender, see your surgeon immediately for reassurance or for treatment depending on their findings, they may introduce a needle to withdraw fluid and culture the fluid to make sure there is no infection. Chances are they will want you to use compression on the area for a while.

Management of Fluid Pocket after Liposuction

+1

As fat is being removed during liposuction there is a disruption of the architecture including blood and lymphatic vessels. Surgeons differ in how they wish the access openings to be dealt with; some close the, others partially close them to allow some drainage, many leave them open and instruct the patient to massage inferiorly to help expel all fluid while some place temporary suction drains to help remove the fluid.

In your case, your surgeon would probably need to suction the fluid with a syringe to allow the tissues to come together and minimize the chances of infection, poor scarring or contour deformity.

Seroma after liposuction needs prompt treatment.

+1

Hi.

See your surgeon right away. If you really have fluid after liposuction, it should be removed with a needle, sometimes more than once. If it is not removed, it can form a lump of scar tissue. But of course, you may not have a fluid collection.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)