How Much Will Scar Tissue from Getting an Explant/Full Lift Interfere W/ Mammography Diagnostics?

I have only seen this touched on, very briefly, & w/o details. I would love to have my 10 yr old smooth, saline, unders removed, and will most likely need an anchor or lollipop type lift to restore shape & firmness to my natural, (at least a D cup), tissues. I'm concerned that the explant & lift sutures will cause scar tissue to the extent of dangerously obstructing mammogram results/images. True? Also, how would partially or fully removing the scat capsules, vs leaving them in place factor in?

+2

The capsules do not necessarily need to be removed but will depend upon exam and quality of the capsule along with presence of calcification, etc.  The imaging will not be affected by the scarring from a breast lift.   In fact, in the manner in which I perform a breast lift, there will be virtually no scar in the breast tissue.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Mammography and breast surgery

+2

From what my radiologist colleagues tell me. It is fairly easy to discern scarring from surgery from a possible breast cancer on mammo.

Mammograms after explant and breast lift

+1

As far as I am aware it should not be an issue. you should have a base mammogram after the procedure done at 3 to 6 months after the surgery.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

+1

The calcifications  and scar that can occur with breast surgery are so characteristic that they are difficult to confuse with finding suggestive of need for a biopsy. This should probably be less problematic than is the presence of an implant. Removing the capsule will improve the imaging only if the capsule is calcified.